UKC

Tintagel north bouldering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nath_casper 12 May 2013
Hey,

I've tried a few times now to get down to the boulders at tintagel north. I walk to the rocky outcrop, then take the faint trail down, through the gauze and down the grassy slope. But when I get near the bottom. It seems like there is a cliff edge between me and the boulders?

Can anyone give me some detailed insider knowledge of the exact descent down to the boulders? Is it actually a down climb? It can't be as hard as I think is if people take mats down there. It seems the trail disappears when followed all the way directly down and a mid height right bearing trail, passing a smaller outcrop seems to skirt the edge of the formentioned cliff. Some solid information would be great as I'm not so keen on dodgy scramberling and think abseiling in is definately a bit overkill. Apologies for my lack of skill and courage.

Nathan
OP nath_casper 12 May 2013
Thanks for the info, I have downloaded and read this before but still can't seem to find my way to the bottom? I'm gonna have another look next week again.

Maybe I'm just a bit blind/special and need to walk right to the edge before I can see exactly the way down. Just a bit unsure of the unknown....
 Niall Grimes 13 May 2013
In reply to nath_casper:

This is from Boulder Britain:

Go down the path right of the hotel and follow the coastal path right (east). Go through a gate in the corner of a field and head for a small rocky outcrop on the skyline , 200m away. At the outcrop head down bearing slightly right to arrive at the coast and the boulders.

The Rock and Run download doesn't work so well as a guidebook but the locals (TN & DW) gave me all the info which is in the book. Probably more since then all the same.
 RobertHepburn 13 May 2013
I have only been there once, but like you found it a bit hard to find! From memory: The first trick is finding the right point on the path to start - I remember using a good OS map and the nearby outcrops to figure it out, but it is hard to be sure you are in the right place! You walk down the steep grassy slope straight toward the sea and the cliff. Then you are almost at the cliff head to the right and there is a small way into the little valley and some easy scrambling across some rocks down to the bottom level. I guess someone may have a picture to help you? Good luck anyway, and don't fall in the sea!
 cornishben 13 May 2013
In reply to nath_casper: you walk down the grassy slope heading diagonally rightwards and drop down over the edge on the RH side near the bottom of the slope (i.e. facing N rather than W). It's not obvious until you're right on top of it, but once there its a very easy scramble down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...