UKC

Outdoor legislation (sorry)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philo22 14 May 2013
Feel a little guilty posting a question like this on UKC - A. Because it is a super boring topic and B. because I have been rather quiet as of late on the forum. However, after spending many fruitless hours on Google I thought I would try the combined knowledge of UKC forums, apologies in advance!
I'm looking at setting up a (very!) small business in the South West, providing fitness and endurance training at a slightly higher level than already offered. The sessions will be geared towards those hoping to enter the forces or compete in endurance events such as triathlons or simply those who enjoy a bit of suffering.
I am aiming to split the sessions between indoor classes (have the use of a sports hall) doing basic circuit training/bleep tests etc. and outdoor cardio work - long runs, wild swims, beach runs, weighted runs etc.
Stage 2 of the project is going to include weekends away, I'm currently looking and Dartmoor or the Brecons for some 'enhanced' endurance work.

I have now come up against the joys of licensing and legislation and I wondered if there would be somebody on UKC who could perhaps shed some light for me?
I'm particularly struggling with what I should be qualified in. I'll shortly be qualified as a personnel trainer and already hold first aid and remote first aid tickets but obviously my business entails rather a lot more than working out in a gym. If at all possible I would really rather not have to become a walking leader, ML, swimming instructor and lifeguard just so that I am able to take groups for a run and an outdoor swim - if only for the fact that obtaining many of these tickets will take years. (That's not to say I wouldn't be happy to work towards them at a later date, I realize that overnight trips in the Brecons will require a higher standard of training).
If anyone has experience in this area I would be very grateful for any advice you have to offer. I'd much rather have an idea of what is required before charging in and asking governing bodies for advice and being told I need hundreds of pointless qualifications that are actually not essential.
Apologies again for the rather un-exciting topic, any and all comments are most welcome.
All the best
Phil
oggi 14 May 2013
In reply to Philo22: Hi Phil
The short answer is that you do not need any qualifications at all. I would recommend that you have insurance for your business and your insurers may ask you to prove your competence (not the same thing as qualifications). Usually the easiest way to prove competence is to have a qualification but it is not the only way. In addition to competence clients would usually want you to prove that you actually know something of what you are putting them through.
You don't need an ML to take groups for a run. There are plenty of places to run that are not ML terrain so I would concentrate on that.
If you have specific questions feel free to pm me.

Doug
OP Philo22 14 May 2013
In reply to Anonymous: I've been considering the age thing for some time - currently thinking will probably stick to over 18's due to anticipated 'minefield' of child protection and health and safety regs.
OP Philo22 14 May 2013
In reply to oggi: yhm
 JIMBO 14 May 2013
In reply to Philo22
> I'm looking at setting up a (very!) small business in the South West, providing fitness and endurance training at a slightly higher level than already offered. The sessions will be geared towards those hoping to enter the forces or compete in endurance events such as triathlons or simply those who enjoy a bit of suffering.

I had a friend try to do this exact thing (also based in the SW)... the problem was people who are motivated to perform at high levels are also motivated to train themselves, hence the perceived gap in the market...

As said qualifications are not necessary but getting insurance without might be really hard or expensive. A good log of experience will help.

OP Philo22 14 May 2013
In reply to JIMBO: Point taken! Don't suppose he's still in business/living localy? Be interested in having a chat.
 JIMBO 14 May 2013
In reply to Philo22:
His business never really took off because he couldn't raise his client base. I thought (FWIW) he needed to get bread and butter lazy people who want a trainer to look buff and build on the odd success to do bigger more interesting events. You might be more successful than him, however to use a climbing analogy, a wall makes money off beginners top-roping and not rock stars using campus boards and systems training.
He doesn't do any personal training work now.
OP Philo22 14 May 2013
In reply to JIMBO: Very true. I'm going to be marketing it partly as a endurance and fitness course but also as a way of getting out and meeting people and doing different activities at a level of intensity that would otherwise be difficult to organize or maintain. I'm trying to make the experience not only physically challenging but also fun and exciting - as well as access to a sports hall for basic circuit training etc. I live very close to the Fal Estuary and have negotiated use of an old ex-army landing craft to transport clients and myself upriver to then make our way back via cross country routes. I'm also taking safety boat training so that we can do open water swims in the sea as a way of mixing things up.
Hopefully that should draw a few more in than just the training elite who, as you say, may be less likely to join.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...