/ Press Up Challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Elrond - on 15 May 2013
Anyone tried the Sally-Up press up challenge??
ice.solo - on 15 May 2013
In reply to Elrond:

not as yet, still trying to get my head around this one: 5 x hand clap pushups every 30secs for 10mins.
Elrond - on 15 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

That sounds like a brutal challenge!! Does it not also do your wrists in though?
In reply to Elrond:

hasnt done mine - tho ive only made it to 7...
a good warm up is vital.
nw - on 15 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo: I always thought less was more in terms of power production excercises, i.e don't chase reps but go for explosiveness. So not 100 reps (if I understand correctly). Of course sometimes these challenges are just good to do for shits and giggles.
In reply to nw:

im not sure. i think for real world applications (depending on what ones 'real world' is of course), power production needs to be progressively stretched out towards endurance. especially for something like a plyometric as it pretty rapidly hits a threshold - the next step is to make that threshold last longer (for endurance based stuff at least).

but yeah, its gotta be based off solid actual power production first.

i think what the 5/10 clap-push sort of thing does is train recovery as much as power, in the context of power.

and agree - shits n giggles is needed to keep things interesting.
nw - on 15 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo: Ya that threshold is the problem with body weight excercises isn't it. There are some good progressions though. Someday I fancy having a serious crack at one arm push ups.
Daniel Heath - on 15 May 2013
In reply to nw:
> (In reply to ice.solo) Ya that threshold is the problem with body weight excercises isn't it. There are some good progressions though. Someday I fancy having a serious crack at one arm push ups.

Definitely a good progression, if a little straining on the shoulder/back.

In fact that's a good reminder, I think I'll train them again for a bit :)

It feels much better to be doing sets of 6-12 one armers than doing countless normal ones.
henwardian - on 16 May 2013
In reply to Elrond: Yup. Never made it more than about 20 seconds in though :D

I think you should be able to get progression with pressups just by putting some weights on your back, no?

Also, if you can do one hand push ups, try 1 hand and 1 leg pushups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3oJSFYNRv0
joel182 - on 16 May 2013
In reply to Elrond:

Managed 1:50! Loved it though, will try again tomorrow!
ice.solo - on 16 May 2013
In reply to nw:

The equation for breaking thresholds applies same for BW as for loaded weight: increase resistance, speed, duration, complexity and stress.

Lots if ways to upscale pushups without adding load; use rings/med balls, raise the feet, destabilize the feet and hands, race the clock, pre-stress, increase range of motion etc.
andic - on 16 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

let your kids sit on your back, they get heavier as you get stronger, if you want to mix it up jut have more.
ads.ukclimbing.com
The Lemming - on 16 May 2013
In reply to nw:
> Someday I fancy having a serious crack at one arm push ups.

I was able to do those when I was a teenager during karate sessions.

Maybe if I did not do these then I would not have shoulder impingement today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.