UKC

Carb of choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Antigua 19 May 2013
I currently feel like I'm eating too much carbohydrate (bread & pasta mainly) and was wondering how others moderate there intake yet still feel like they've had enough in terms of fullness between meals.

Herdwickmatt 19 May 2013
In reply to Antigua: I mix the carbs up, rice, cous cous, and lots of oats. Also lots of fruit. I find wasabi peas a great stop gap between snacks.
In reply to Antigua:

Quinoa, oats, brown rice
 Ander 19 May 2013
In reply to Antigua:

Why do you think you're eating too much carb?

The only thing I'd say is that bread and pasta are both quite refined- you might do better with some rice, or make sure you try the wholewheat varieties.

And 'grazing' between meals is an excellent way to take on energy.
Antigua 19 May 2013
In reply to Ander:
> (In reply to Antigua)
>
> Why do you think you're eating too much carb?

Well either I have bowl of porridge or a couple of slices of toast for breakfast. Then last week I took a salad to work for lunch (lettuce, tomato, cucumber spring oinons, olives & dressing) but unless it had some cous cous I just felt hungry for the rest of the afternoon. Then pasta at supper.

3 lots of carbs in as you say a very refined form. Was wondering if anyone could suggest a more healthy way of eating.
In reply to Antigua:
> (In reply to Ander)
> [...]
>
> Well either I have bowl of porridge or a couple of slices of toast for breakfast. Then last week I took a salad to work for lunch (lettuce, tomato, cucumber spring oinons, olives & dressing) but unless it had some cous cous I just felt hungry for the rest of the afternoon.

Just add half a tin of tuna, some pre cooked salmon or a hard boiled egg or two. Voila, good protein and you'll feel less empty.

If you are a veggie, load it with garden peas or some toasted almonds. Voila, same effect!

SouthernSteve 19 May 2013
In reply to Antigua:

Peas as already mentioned are useful for carb replacement. I happen to love them which helps, but buy the better quality frozen ones with some taste. Peas bolognese and black pepper is particularly good.
 StefanB 20 May 2013
In reply to Antigua:

Replace refined carbs (sugar, pasta, bread, etc.) with vegetables (including potato, although some say they are too starchy). After getting over the cold turkey you should feel sufficiently "full" between meals. The most important bit is to avoid all sugar, which hard to do if you don't eat whole food, as it's hidden in plenty of processed food, even where you don't expect it. Make sure you get your fat balance right. For most people this means eating more "good" fats, particularly omega 3 type fats (salmon, all sorts of blue fish, avocados, nuts, olive oils). Note that although I put "good fats" there is no good or bad really, but the balance is important. In the right amount, bacon fat can be "good".
 xplorer 22 May 2013
In reply to Antigua:

Eats something with a little amount of fat in, fat stops that hungry feeling
 ablackett 22 May 2013
In reply to xplorer: What's the problem with having too many carbs, unless you understand that you won't understand how you should change things.

Why just a little amount of fat? Unless you are worried about heart disease, what's the problem with a highish amount of fat in your diet.

When I was running training a lot 60-70 miles a week and training for a BG and Lakeland 100 i read that my calorie intake should be 33% carbs, 33% protein and 33% fats, which improves endurance because your body gets used to using the fats for energy, which it will be doing in the race.

I found it really hard to get up to the 33% fat and expensive to get up to 33% protein. Like said above, eggs, tuna are good for protein. Avacado, cheese, nuts are good for fats.

Just be aware that because fat and protein has a higher calorie density than carbs, so it doesn't have to be 33% of your plate which is fat in terms of area.
ice.solo 22 May 2013
In reply to Antigua:

I only run about 50kms a week, but do other forms of enduro stuff, and go with pumpkin, buckwheat and heavy vegetables like broccoli, carrots etc.
grains I'm not so into as they seem to stick in the system, so only during big output sessions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...