UKC

Finger injury - Flexor digitorum profundus?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tk421 22 May 2013
Anyone strained their flexor digitorum profundus (my google self diagnosis).

I have a full range of movement, but putting any resistance on it, it hurts in my forearm about 5cm up from my elbow.

I plan to rest it. Exercise that will get the blood pumping in the arms but not work the finger. Then after a few days start to use it a little with a squeezy ball / theraputty.

If anyone's had it before, how did they treat it? and what was your recovery timeline like?

Thanks
 Quiddity 22 May 2013
In reply to tk421:

I've done that. Where it hurts when you tension a flexed distal joint (ie. the one furthest from your hand) not your proximal joint? ie. open-handing things hurts but crimping is fine?

If the pain is in your forearm then as I understand it, it is hard to tell if you have injured the muscle belly or the tendon where it attaches to the muscle. If it is the former, then the recovery time is quite good - I think I was back climbing in 4-5 days, trying hard routes within 10 days or so, and probably totally healed within a month. Do the usual things - rest, ice, NSAIDs etc.
 Quiddity 22 May 2013
In reply to Quiddity:

Oh and once it starts to heal and you start rehabbing it with theraputty etc., do plenty of self-massage on it to prevent the formation of hard knots of scar tissue.
OP tk421 22 May 2013
In reply to Quiddity:
Yep, exactly that, flexing the DIP and pull slightly and the twinge is in the fattest part of my forearm.

Cheers, good to know that it's possible that it's minor and back to normal soon.
 Quiddity 22 May 2013
In reply to tk421:

Yeah if it's an injury to the muscle itself and not connective tissue then you've basically got off lightly. Good luck with it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...