UKC

Rock fall at Ilkley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 27 May 2013
Today at Ilkley a large block became detached on 'The Flake Climb' whilst an individual was climbing it. His arm became trapped and he was stuck for nearly three hours requiring the help of the fire service, air ambulance and mountain rescue. The block is still in-situ. The fire service have left two wedges underneath it. I've no idea how stable the block is now but i STRONGLY recommend climbers give this route and those surrounding it a wide birth.
 martinph78 27 May 2013
In reply to ralphio: Ouch, hope he makes a full recovery.
 antdav 27 May 2013
Somehow he managed to get away without a break.
In reply to ralphio: I saw the air ambulance fly over whilst I was lim ing in the quarry. I saw it had landed over near Rocky Valley. When I was leaving I asked a MR guy what had happened and he said a climber had been trapped by his arm by a falling block. Glad to hear nothing's broken and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
 lummox 27 May 2013
In reply to ralphio: do you know where the loos flake is ? In the initial gully ?
OP ralphio 28 May 2013
In reply to lummox: Right above the cave recess, before you start traversing out left onto the front face. Its not a flake, it's a big square block that i'd say weighs about half a ton. I'd seriously think twice before putting my hands anywhere near it.
 bobstones 28 May 2013
In reply to ralphio:

I was the guy belaying the guy that got stuck......

DONT climb this route, the block is very loose and very big! During the rescue the Fire crew pushed some wedges in to keep the block propped up whilst my mate pulled his arm out. The wedges are about the only thing that's keeping the block in and even so its still unstable. If someone were to pull on it the whole thing would come down and they wouldn't be as lucky as my mate was.

Kemics 28 May 2013
In reply to bobstones:

I can only hope you made lots of inappropriate 127 hour jokes.

Amazing to come out completely unscathed, sounds like he's lucky he still has the hand.
 Dave Musgrove 06 Jun 2013
In reply to ralphio:

The offending Block has now been removed and the route cleaned up. The moves across the traverse are still the same and the climb is as good as it ever was.
 Marq 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

Excellent Dave, thanks for getting this dealt with. Can you update the Yorkshire Area Facebook page as well please.

Thanks,
Marq
 Dave Musgrove 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Marq:

Done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...