/ North Wales earthquake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
richprideaux - on 29 May 2013
George_Surf - on 29 May 2013
In reply to richprideaux:

quite a few people i know, it's all over facebook this morning
NickD - on 29 May 2013
It was pretty exciting in Llanberis, although it would have been nice if it had waited until a more civilised time. I looked out of the window to see if the slate quarries were collapsing.
IainRUK - on 29 May 2013
In reply to NickD: I remember the 84 one.. probably one of my first memories...
NickD - on 29 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Me too! I was lying on the floor next to a metal fireguard at the time - I think it made me partially deaf :-(
woolsack - on 29 May 2013
In reply to richprideaux: I wouldn't think Tremadoc could take much more shaking could it?
jdawg_85 - on 29 May 2013
In reply to richprideaux: got woken up by the cat going nuts, I slept though the actual event though.

Here's a pic of the damage someone posted on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Leighsheps/status/339613571870756864/photo/1
ice.solo - on 29 May 2013

hey, you made GDACS!

http://gdacs.org/report.aspx?eventtype=EQ&eventid=125015

second lowest quake in 24hrs, but not bad considering the rest were regulars.
ebygomm - on 29 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> I remember the 84 one.. probably one of my first memories...

Same here, just turned 4, we were on holiday in Llanbedrog. Lots of tremors afterwards too
Skyfall - on 29 May 2013
In reply to jdawg_85:

wow, the insurance bill for that must run into billions, surely...
pebbles - on 29 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall: some classic reports on http://earthquake-report.com/2013/05/29/strong-earthquake-wales-united-kingdom-on-may-29-2013/

"caernarfon - Woken up with the bed shaking, sadly my luck was not in"
"Llandudno - Pooed my pants and dropped my jam on toast , may need months off work ."
"Groeslon,Caernarfon - Its the end of the world !!!"
"pwllheli - Shook me out of bed landed face down on the floor, nob hit the ground first so wasnt the best experience"
Jim Nevill - on 29 May 2013
In reply to pebbles: Wot no Tsunami?
Glad to see the Welsh humour coming through this awful disaster (sic).
David Barratt - on 29 May 2013
In reply to richprideaux: I hear it shook the potatoes in Dublin!
Skyfall - on 29 May 2013
In reply to pebbles:

Of course the biggest 'concern' (some might say relief) is that most of the routes on the Lleyn are likely to have fallen down....
malk - on 29 May 2013
In reply to richprideaux: is the etch a sketch art museum still open?
NickD - on 29 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> Of course the biggest 'concern' (some might say relief) is that most of the routes on the Lleyn are likely to have fallen down....

That happens in a moderate breeze.
john spence - on 29 May 2013
In reply to richprideaux: I remember a moderate earthquake in Wrexham back in the mid sixties...it did two million pounds worth of improvements.
browndog33 - on 29 May 2013
In reply to malk: Very good! lol.
Iwan - on 29 May 2013

I was awoken this morning by a door that was vibrating violently. I was convinced that someone was trying to break into my house so I snuck out of the back door dressed only in a pair of skids and a pair of clogs. I also collected a billhook from the fireplace on the way out. I found no sign of any intruder so went back to bed. I was going to report the incident to the police but fortunately I saw an article on the BBC website about the quake so I saved myself the embarrassment.
malk - on 29 May 2013
In reply to browndog33: to be serious, it has likely increased the chances of rockfalls in Snowdonia this summer esp after this winter- discuss..
Skyfall - on 29 May 2013
In reply to malk:

and I was sort of being serious about the LLeyn seacliffs.
ianstevens - on 29 May 2013
In reply to malk: Or, it has knocked off all the loose stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.