UKC

Nikon D5100 - Best Filming Settings?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 xplorer 31 May 2013
Started to do a little filming with my Nikon and go pro.

What's the best set up to use on the Nikon, I'm using a neutral density filter.

All filming will be outside.
 Fraser 31 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:

> What's the best set up to use on the Nikon, I'm using a neutral density filter.

Why?

OP xplorer 31 May 2013
In reply to Fraser:

Was advised to.

Why, isn't that a good idea?
 hamsforlegs 31 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:

All the ND is doing is reducing the amount of light getting to the lens.

There are a couple of reasons to use one, which typically apply in very bright situations:

- You want to use a wider aperture than the light levels permit, usually because of depth of field and focus issues
- You are running up against the shutter speed/iso limits of the camera and are still blowing highlights

People will sometimes use them when using dedicated film cameras for other reasons, but they don't apply with a DSLR that has variable ISO and other settings.

I'm afraid I can't help re. the specific settings, but I would guess that you might want to look at what the GoPro produces and see if you can get some matching format from your Nikon. This might make editing the footage easier.
Antigua 31 May 2013
In reply to hamsforlegs:

I'm not a pro by any stretch on the imagination as I use a Nikon 3200 but I make extensive use of ND filters which means I can get a really good film look.

I found that playing with the IOS just made the image more pixelated if thats the right word.
 ORice 31 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Personally if you are going to protect the lens with a filter use a UV, less effect on light levels than the ND.

As for settings, it depends on what you are shooting. Much like stills smaller f stop will give you shallower depth of field and the bigger will get everything in focus. If you are shooting close ups then lower will be better but if its big wide stuff like skiing stick to big ones. Example of where I used them was mountain biking, shallow depth for focusing on wheels on single track but greater depth for panning shot.

As for the other settings it depends on light levels which you can adjust during filming. Normally if I have the chance I take a test shot and see how it looks before filming.
OP xplorer 31 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Thanks for the replies so far.

Anybody reccomend any decent books
 monkey_moves 31 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Hi buddy ND filters are critical IMHO for shooting DSLR style video (they are also useful to put in front of a gopro and force it to use a slower shutter speed at times, e.g hi-speed action/aerial cams etc) video is all about the framerate vs shutter speed, so the use of ND filters on DSLR video is critical to avoid cranking the shutter speed and getting that horrible sharp stuttery look, or avoiding having to use high Fstop numbers (eg shallow dof close up vs pinsharp landscape)

RE: setup, not a nikon guy but in terms of video basics gd rule of thumb is basically frame rate + no more than double for the shutter speed e.g 24fps at 48th of a second shutter, or 50fps at 100th, this looks natural and hence need for ND's..... what ever you do in terms of editing afterwards, unless your running a monster rig or wanting to convert to a intermediate codec, its wise to match cameras so frame rates match (set nikon to the best available video spec of the gopro & match framerates, if you've a gopro black its likely better than the nikon so reverse)

if its just web stuff then 1280p with a higher framerate gives a bit more latitude to play (and for handheld shots) than trying maxing out your res at 1080p but at 30fps which is harder to get steady and smooth (regardless spend a bit on a tidy tripod, the cullman brand on amazon are great value for money btw but if your serious for video then down the line buy a fluid head)

finally dont worry about most of the technical stuff just yet, shoot like a maniac, anything, everything (shoot at the golden hours where possible....seriously in good light anyone can take a gd shot with any camera!!), try when possible to shoot a sequence of actions not just one static image (difference btw the pros and us amateurs I think!) and finally as any aspirant film maker will tell you, sound matters far, far, far more than u think! I can watch crappy phone camera footage but with pro audio feed all day long, but 5mins of stunning 4k with crap audio and its ruined!! the zoom recorders are quite cheap btw

re: books, I wouldn't worry really, heaps of great filming videos on vimeo and youtube, (vimeo film school is great!)

sorry for essay but you did ask! :P
OP xplorer 31 May 2013
In reply to monkey_moves:

Brilliant, thanks for the lengthy reply mate.
OP xplorer 01 Jun 2013
In reply to monkey_moves:

Have you got any tips on how to get a good depth of field
 Sean Bell 06 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to monkey_moves)
>
> Have you got any tips on how to get a good depth of field

All good advice from Monkey Moves. Im use an ND filter a lot when shooting DSLR video, trying to keep shutter speeds low is tricky in bright sunlight especially when you want that shallow DOF.

In reply to your question, 'to get a 'good' depth of field', it depends on what you mean by good.

If you mean shallow or short i.e. subject in focus, background/foreground blurry then you either have to shoot with a lens with a fast maximum aperture like a 50mm 1.4/1.8 and dial in these wider apertures when shooting or increase your focal length, or both. i.e. 200mm at f2.8.
If you mean you want everything from fore to background in focus, then dial in smaller apertures i.e f11 and above, and/or use wider angle lenses.

This is a simplified explanation but hope it helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...