UKC

Storage solution

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'll be visiting the UK in October/November. As a obsessive photographer, I will be hoping to shoot most days while there. The last couple of times I've been back I've used 4 x 16 gig SDHC cards, and reviewed and deleted duff shots, and got away with it.

Just upgraded my camera though, (now 5D mk3,) which obviously requires more storage. Also while there I'm hoping to do a landscape photography day course, and would want to ensure I keep the images shot them for reference.

What would you good people do in terms of storage for a six week trip?

Many thanks in advance.
 Richiehill 01 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob: Are you taking a laptop? If so, just stick a 1TB USB HDD into it and back up your camera to your HDD.
In reply to Richiehill: Nice thought! I'm not, though I may have access to enough computers at friends houses to make that a go.

Thank you.

Other suggestions still welcomed!.
In reply to stroppygob:

Is it possible to back up to an external hard drive from an ipad?
 Richiehill 02 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob: You'll probably have to keep it in the Apple Ecosystem and spend a fortune on a skydrive, but can't see why not. It'll also have to be linked to your copy of iTunes. If you'd have had an Android tablet it'd make the whole process so much easier! If you've set up iCould your iPad should have an ability to back itself up.

You could use Tumblr as a back up service. I believe they are offering 1TB storage for free. If you have internet access, just upload all your shots to this, then when you get home download them all again. They also promice not to reduce the quality of your shots.
Antigua 02 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
>
> Is it possible to back up to an external hard drive from an ipad?
Yes

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-s/119.htm
KevinD 02 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

you can get external hdd with built in readers specifically for this purpose eg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EverTech-DigiMate-ImageTank-Multi-Card-OLED-Display...

obv cost more than standard though. If you were feeling adventerous could probably rig up a variant using a raspberry Pi, a external hdd and a reader.
In reply to stroppygob:

Thanks very much all.

I'm leaning towards taking my old 500 gig HD on the trip, and using various mate's computers to do a back up.
 wilkesley 02 Jun 2013
In reply to dissonance:

Using a Pi is a good idea. Cost about £38 including case. Power it from your mobile phone charger. However, you would probably need a powered hub to power the HDD. I have just installed one in the truck. It has a wifi dongle and 1Tb hard drive. Now the children can connect their phones to the WiFi and play videos and music. Greatly reduces the "Are we nearly there" chants.
 icnoble 02 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob: Will a 500 gig hd be big enough? The 5dMKIII will produce quite large files especially if you are shooting in raw. Have you got a Flikr account? You could upload files as they now give 1TB of storage free.
In reply to stroppygob:

Thanks again peopel.

I'm leaning away from the online storage options, as I assume that will need to use a fair chunk of various friends monthly data use. (Though I'm not really aware of what the score is in the UK these days, I'm basing it on Australian up/down quotas.)

My 500 gig external hard drive should be enough, I can back up to it, and edit out any gash as I go. Though I think doing time lapse is out the window

rallymania 10 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> Though I think doing time lapse is out the window

switch to medium / large formate jpeg for timelapse

you are only going to go and chop most of it away and compress it to burglery when you render it anyway

just a thought

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...