/ Portugal surf spots with rented accommodation / camping?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BleausardUK - on 03 Jun 2013
Can anybody recommend a decent surfing spot in Portugal or northern Spain with rented accommodation/camping (preferably rented chalet type things) nearby and the possibility of surfing lessons? Being near a climbing spot would be a bonus but isn't essential.
Mike Stretford - on 03 Jun 2013
In reply to BleausardUK: Sagres.
nniff - on 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Papillon:

What he said. Get in touch with Geeze of this parish who lives locally and is into both the climbing and surfing scenes there.

Sagres has a wide range of accomodation from surfy type bunkhouses upwards. I'm sure there's camping too, but I'm not familiar with any.
philipivan - on 03 Jun 2013
In reply to BleausardUK:

There was plenty when we arrived in Lisbon a few years back at spots like Peniche, Supertubos etc. It's a lovely area to surf!
mountain25 - on 03 Jun 2013
In reply to BleausardUK:
another vote for Sagres; but beware that there can be a bit of localism around some of the Sagres breaks. If you haven't already, try looking at magic seaweed ( http://magicseaweed.com/Sagres-Tonel-Surf-Report/128/) for some ideas about accommodation. I've stayed at the Ocean View apartments in Carrapateira and can definitely recommend them.
If you can, hire a car when out there, one of the great things about surfing in the Algarve is that you have 2 coastlines, this giving a lot of options and versatility depending on the weather and swell, but you need to be mobile to take advantage of this. Free camping at a beach called Branco's (barrancos) on the S coast (or at least there was when I was there), but you ain't getting there without a car!
If you are looking for surfing lessons as well it might be worthwhile booking into a surf camp for at least part of your stay as that will sort out your lessons, equipment, accommodation and transport in one package.
cheers
rb
spooky - on 03 Jun 2013
In reply to BleausardUK: was in Peniche last summer. A developing surf town so plenty of good cheap accommodation and surf schools. A really nice place for a holiday.
BleausardUK - on 03 Jun 2013
In reply to everyone:
Many thanks for the advice - I'll follow up some of those leads!
mark burley - on 06 Jun 2013
In reply to BleausardUK: try Ericeira north of Lisbon, that would be my choice.
ads.ukclimbing.com
machars on 06 Jun 2013
In reply to BleausardUK: Playa de Rodiles in northern spain was a pretty nice spot with camping just behind the beach.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.