UKC

shooting in the dark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 09 Jun 2013
Its raining today and I've got the lad on my hands, so off to explore a cave. I've had limited success recording such events photographically. My cheap digital (Nikon P50) doesn't know what or how to focus in pitch black (normal mode - AUTO). Anyone got experience with this?
 Hannes 09 Jun 2013
In reply to LeeWood: Two options, use a torch to shine where you want the camera to focus or get a laser pointer and focus on that. Neither is great with a compact digital camera as you can't retain focus after turning the torch off
 krikoman 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Hannes: can on mine Canon 620 once you press button half way ythe focus stays locked. Of you can manually focus.
OP LeeWood 10 Jun 2013
In reply to LeeWood: Thanks for ideas. The P50 has a plethora of modes which may be useful with practice. Under the dial SCENE setting there are two which may be relevant: Night Portarit & Night Landcsape. The latter is supposed to fix the focus at infinity. After which there are several flash settings to experiment with.

Heh heh, I did explore a couple of small caves yesterday but after approach in heavy rain and a few squeeze passages I was well grimed up and had no wish to soil the camera. Oh, and the boy complained sorely because we got lost on the approach.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...