UKC

Best book on a K2 expedition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 14 Jun 2013
What's the best book on a particular K2 expedition? Reading one at the moment that covers the history of K2, by Jim Curran, and it mentions lots.
 felt 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

No Way Down is good, no question. K2: Savage Mountain, Savage Summer is OK, too. Can't say which is better as I read the second one twenty years ago and can't recall a thing about it, except that it might be a bit 'in-crowdy', if you know what I mean. But the first one is real good.

More of a challenge is to find a book about K2 that ends well. Is there one?
 Gawyllie 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Flinticus: theer are a few good ones, Ed viesturs one is fantastic for the whole history of the mountain.

John Barry's Savage mountain Savage summer is about the summer of 86 (Barry, Rouse and curran were on the same expedition initially)

i would recommend either of these.

there is also a fair bit on K2 in Bonatti's Mountians of my life

i also have a large one that i haven't got round to reading buy Kurt Diemberger called K2: Challenging the sky. more of a coffee table book
 Stevie A 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
Another vote for No Way Down.
 Co1in H 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Flinticus: Five Miles High by Bates and K2 Savage Mountain by Houston and Bates are classics, as is the book about Weissners expedition prior to WW2.
Buried in the Sky is excellent and a take on the last tragedy and should be read alongside No Way Down as well as Surviving K2 by Wilko Van Rooijen.
Currans book K2 Triumph and Tragedy covers the 1986 disaster and has a more informed narrative than The Endless Knot by Diemberger.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...