UKC

Interesting climbing wall around Leicester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Annoying Twit 16 Jun 2013
My son and I climb at The Tower, in Leicester.

Next Saturday we're at a loose end, and I wondered about taking a trip to somewhere more 'interesting'. A climbing wall reachable from Leicester via trains/etc. would work well, if it's something that makes an interesting change from The Tower. (Doesn't have to be better, just different would be fine). We only climb using a top rope at present. We have most of our own gear, except we don't have a rope and he borrows climbing shoes from the climbing wall when we go.

I've sent an email to the RockBlok near Rutland Water, which looks a good option. However, I'm concerned that the long range weather forecast is for rain next Saturday, and I think that the RockBlok is mainly outside. If there are other options resembling a trip to RockBlok, I'd very much like to hear about them.
 Graham Mck 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: Have you tried the Climbing Station in Loughborough? It is primarily a bouldering venue, but it does have about 7/8 top ropes up offering a range of grades. The bouldering is very good. It is probably a 15 minute walk from the railway station in Loughborough.

More details here:

http://www.theclimbingstation.com/
 CharlieW 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit:

Try some outdoor bouldering at Beacon Rock? Not great landings so a bouldering mat would be nice.
Annoying Twit 16 Jun 2013
Beacon Rock is a good long term aim. We've looked at bouldering mats, but haven't bought one yet. We've climbed some of the easier and safer climbs in Bradgate Park. But I'm not sure about doing too much climbing outside yet unless the weather will be better than the BBC's long range forecast suggests.

The Climbing Centre in Loughborough is a great suggestion. I've looked up their website, and my son is very interested. I've suggested that we use the Great Central Railway to go to Loughborough, but teenage son isn't as fascinated by steam trains as he used to be. I presume that The Climbing Centre is all indoors, and weather will not be an issue.
 Neil Williams 16 Jun 2013

When we turned up at the Tower on a bank holiday to find it shut, we ended up going to Nottingham - quite an intriguing and friendly little wall in a converted Victorian swimming pool. Would recommend it. Plenty of leading, top roping and bouldering.

Neil
 Neil Williams 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

Accessible from the station by tram.

Neil
 Graham Mck 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: Yes all indoors and the Great Central Way station is closer than the mainline station
 marsbar 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Neil Williams: Totally agree. Lovely people too.

Also Alter Rock at Derby. In a converted church.
 marsbar 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Neil Williams: Alter Rock does cheap night for Scout members (including leaders, not just groups)
 winhill 16 Jun 2013

If travelling to Nottingham, I'd do a rope session at nottingham climbing centre (easy on the tram), maybe go to the Lion pub for lunch, then back to the tram stop, into the city centre then you can walk, 10-15 mins to the depot, nottingham's new(ish)bouldering centre and spend the afternoon/evening having a leisurely boulder there.

from there you can walk back to the station 15/20 mins or if it's desperate walk back into town and take the tram again.
Annoying Twit 17 Jun 2013
Thanks for all the recommendations. I think we'll be going to The Climbing Centre in Loughborough by Steam Train But I've bookmarked this thread, and expect that we'll visit the other locations (including Rutland Water) over the summer.
hatti 20 Jun 2013
Redpoint in Birmingham is pretty amazing, not sure how close to train lines it is though..!
 hazeysunshine 21 Jun 2013
Another vote for Loughborough Climbing Station - acres of bouldering - and loads of very amenable problems (ie I can manage them) many on slabs, or massive jugs on overhangs. separate traversing area, and half a dozen routes with top-rope. Friendly staff, comfy cafe area, featuring the famous tiffin.

In comparison, the Depot in Nottingham is bouldering only, a lot steeper, lots of overhangs, - I wouldn't last 10 mins in there!

Notts Climbing Wall has less bouldering than Lufbra, but plenty of top-roping and lead climbing. Also great cafe and also friendly staff. (Be aware Saturday there are a lot of kids classes going on)
 climber34neil 21 Jun 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: if you are getting the train then you can get direct to Sheffield , then go to the climbing works , foundry, the edge, lauds of options all easy to get to from the station, although bit of a walk to the climbing works so if heading there walk across the road to the bus station and get a bus to woodseats (should be cheap) . Head up early ish and make the most of the day, mooch about Sheffield or get the bus to fox house and wander around the burbage south boulders for outdoor inspiration and motivation (waterproof probably usefull this weekend though )
 Muel 21 Jun 2013
In reply to climber34neil:

For top-roping only, the Edge isn't ideal IMO, the foundry would be better. The Edge is great (I go twice a week), but the foundry has a much larger number of top roped routes.
Annoying Twit 08 Jul 2013
Hi everyone. I forgot to add a follow up to this thread. We did go to The Climbing Station and enjoyed ourselves. Hopefully we'll get the chance to go to some of the other places described in this thread.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...