UKC

Gogarth Campsites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gavinpeach 22 Jun 2013
Hello,

Can anyone suggest a campsite which is as close as possible to the climbing on Gogarth? We will be walking in every day.

Cheers

Gavin
 mlmatt 22 Jun 2013
In reply to gavinpeach:

There's one of the road out of porth da frac. Valley of the rocks I think it's called but it's still quite a walk. I think your best bet is to wild camp in the moorland on the right, between south stack and the walk in to main cliff. You'll get a beautiful sunset too
 Rick Graham 22 Jun 2013
In reply to mlmatt:

Agreed.

Take plenty of water bottles and fill up at the North Stack visitor centre or the toilets at South Stack. Fill up before they are locked overnight.

I think there is a proper (basic) campsite at the foot of the South Stack road. Not that far to walk. Look at a google or OS map.

I am sure you will find somewhere discrete to wild camp hidden away from the dog walkers.

There used to be plenty of tents in the 70's at the above locations. Most people now have campervans or quick overnight tent pitches.
I can particularly recommend the grass next to the seaside prom shelters.
 Jon Stewart 22 Jun 2013
In reply to gavinpeach: there's a lovely very quiet campsite at a farm just down the road from south stack. They charge £10 per tent. You don't need to book, but I can give you the phone number if you like
 pec 22 Jun 2013
In reply to gavinpeach: There's a nice campsite at Rhoscolyn
http://www.outdooralternative.co.uk/camping.html
It says its not a public site but I've camped thre quite a few times and have just turned up and never been questioned, though calling in advance wouldn't do any harm, they're quite pleasant people.

Its not the easiest place in the world to find so make a careful note of the directions. Its also a pleasant walk past the bay to the west (see the map) to get to the pub.
 Jon Stewart 22 Jun 2013
In reply to pec:
> (In reply to gavinpeach) There's a nice campsite at Rhoscolyn
> http://www.outdooralternative.co.uk/camping.html
> It says its not a public site but I've camped thre quite a few times and have just turned up and never been questioned, though calling in advance wouldn't do any harm, they're quite pleasant people.
>
> Its not the easiest place in the world to find so make a careful note of the directions. Its also a pleasant walk past the bay to the west (see the map) to get to the pub.

Great campsite and lovely people, where I normally stay these days. But I wouldn't go there without a car, it's miles from Gogarth (not to far from the superb crags at Rhoscolyn though). Also, booking ahead by email is definitely a good idea, especially if you haven't been before.
OP gavinpeach 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: cheers Jon, the phone number would be much appreciated.
 Jon Stewart 22 Jun 2013
In reply to gavinpeach:

Ty-Mawr Farm, 01407762418. Hope it's still as I say, been a year or so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...