UKC

Keyhole Caves - Millstone - belays or not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Jun 2013
I was wondering if anyone has been in the main Keyhole Cave recently and if so are there any vestiges of fixed gear in there to belay off? If not, what did you do? I have had a good look at my latest photos and the iron bars we used to use appear to have gone AWOL.

Thanks for any help,

Chris
 Jon Stewart 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Not been in there recently but when I did a couple of years ago there was nothing. Everyone I've spoken to has escaped via Picadilly Circus (if that's the E2 out the LH side) - even if they were trying the roof!
 benka 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: think i remember that...
 gazhbo 23 Jun 2013

There was nothing there in December except the bong on Coventry Street (which, while good, looks rusty and scarey and can't be clipped without climbing up a bit of the sand). We were going to the top anyway but I remember noticing that the spikes were gone.
 mlmatt 23 Jun 2013

How long are the routes? Would it be possible to just do them as a single pitch?
 Gripped 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs: The last time I remember the bar being there was around 2004/5 ish.

I was there a couple of times last year, belaying on a cam and a large wire in a sandy slot backed up with a wire in the top of one of the HVS's cracks, then I abseiled off. A guy going through one of the roof routes chucked down my gear, saving me rigging an abseil from the top.

The next time I fixed an abseil rope in place from above, belaying from that, then abseiling from it.

Both the HVS's pitches into the cave are good routes in their own right.
 Graeme Hammond 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gripped:

what he said^^^

+ I think there was a thread about them being removed a while back because they were unsafe
 Graeme Hammond 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

can't be bothered to read them all and also can't remember what was said at the BMC area meeting but expect if you look the minutes are on the internet somewhere.
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Jun 2013
In reply to all:

Cheers for that, glad I wasn't not seeing things!

Chris
 gazhbo 23 Jun 2013
In reply to mlmatt:

They're all single pitch routes all the way to the top. It's just that the tops are a bit scarier than the bottoms and the cave is (used to be) a good place to lower off half way.
 Offwidth 24 Jun 2013

New Eastern Grit on the way eh?
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
>
>
> New Eastern Grit on the way eh?

It has been in print seven years and will sell out sometime in 2014. It is time to start planning ahead.

Chris
 Jonny2vests 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> Not been in there recently but when I did a couple of years ago there was nothing. Everyone I've spoken to has escaped via Picadilly Circus (if that's the E2 out the LH side) - even if they were trying the roof!

Yeah that's what I did last few times. Traversing rightward all the way along to something reasonable gets sketchy and bold, and I've never tried any of the roof pitches. There isn't a belay in there I would use, I consider it obligatory E2 territory because that's the easiest option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...