UKC

Will this help during layoff .....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 30 Jun 2013
I will soon be undergoing a spot of essential abdominal surgery. I am reliably informed that this is likely to keep me from doing any exercise that involves the 'core' muscles - which obviously includes most climbing related activities - for the best part of 3 months.

I was wondering what peoples opinions are on the effectivness of using hand grip exercise equipment - such as grip masters, captains of crush grippers - to maintain some sort of finger strength in the meantime.

Any other tips on how to keep climbing-sane during recuperation much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
 Skyfall 30 Jun 2013
In reply to AndrewW:

I tore one of my abdominal muscles last year which is probably not dissimilar. I couldn't do any core exercises for around 3 months, closer to 4 before I could start to do anything more than quite gentle exercises. Very frustrating and I found the easiest thing was to more or less put climbing to one side for a while. I did use the time to do other things (eg. photography) and after a month or so started to do some more cardio but the problem is that a a lot of cardio does work your core muscles. Even long walks over rough terrain were a problem. But you do get over it eventually!

A note of warning, however, take it slowly when you get back climbing. I think I was pushing too hard in cold conditions and ended up with a full thickness tear of a shoulder tendon....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...