UKC

Life insurance for climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 betathief 30 Jun 2013
Hi,

I am currently looking at life insurance on the internet, however as part of the quotes it states "You do not regularly take part in any hazardous sports or activities". Now im guessing climbing, mountaineering and diving (The 3 sports i do) are all classed as hazardous?

What i need to know is there any adventure sport specific life insurances?

To give you an idea I need cover for 10 years, for £95,000.

Thanks for the help.

Ant
 Mark Morris 30 Jun 2013
In reply to the ant hill mob: Been looking into this myself and posted a few days ago. Consensus was that Summit insurance (linked to bmc in some way) is the best bet. I'm still looking into it. But other companies do ask some stupid questions.

Mark
 Becky E 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Mark Morris

I would second the recommendation for Summit Financial Services. When I was looking around, most insurers wanted to treble the premium *and* exclude injury/death resulting from climbing! Summit got me a policy that cost very little more than a "standard" one from other insurers, and allows me to die whilst climbing Well worth giving them a call.
 The New NickB 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Becky E:

Similar experiences here.
 sbc23 30 Jun 2013
In reply to the ant hill mob:

Depending on what kind of diving you do, take a look at DAN cover.

If you get something like the Sports Silver policy, you can add a 'Death' option for a supplement of about 70euros per year for 110,000euro cover. This only covers death whilst diving, but it allows you to take a more conventional life policy from a mainstream insurer (AXA etc.) with exclusions for diving activities.

The limits for DAN are pretty open (130m, cave, technical + RB) and do not specifically tie you to your qualification limits.

Steve
 alex7777 30 Jun 2013
In reply to the ant hill mob:
Hi I have just gone through Summit FS and would recommend them. They are also the same company as Scuba FS found in the diving magazines.
I tried several non-specific other insurers and they proved very expensive for the same cover, or did not know enough about diving or climbing to quote.
I dive, climb and alpine mountaineer so similar to yourself.
Cheers
Alex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...