UKC

Ebay Arghhhhhhh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daithi O Murchu 01 Jul 2013

My missus wanted to get herself a new camera

so sought out a Panasonic FZ200 based on recommendation from friends of ours.

She bought one on eBay, or so she thought

The title of the ebay advert said FZ200, the item specific model description said FZ200, however the camera when arrived is clearly a FZ62.

This was not visible from the photographs that were provided.

The seller is saying no returns because on the last line of their written description it states Model number FZ200/FZ62

So OK my missus should have seen the slash and questioned more.

but to my mind the advert clearly states 3 times that the sale is for a FZ200 and not a FZ62
This level of deception hurts a lot as took her a few weeks saving up the cash

We will be raising a case with the wankers on ebay but what do you think our chances are on getting the case in our favor

anyone experienced anything similar.

note the seller is listed as a UK seller, not an overseas one.
 Bimble 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:

If the item description bits all said FZ200, but it then contradicted itself once in the written description and right at the end, it sounds to me like it'll go in your favour.
 xplorer 01 Jul 2013

Raise a complaint now. I'd pretty much guarantee you will get you're money back.
 craig1983 01 Jul 2013

Ebay (and Paypal if you used it) do protect buyers so I wouldn't worry too much. It was incorrectly advertised so you'll get your money back without much bother....just might take a few weeks to resolve.
 dpm23 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: I don't think eBay take kindly to this sort of thing as it damages their reputation. Lodge disputes with eBay and payal (only way I pay on eBay now) and I would be very surprised if you did not get all your money back.
 winhill 01 Jul 2013

ebay are absolute tw*ts when it comes to this sort of thing.

They say that as long as the item description corrrects any misleading info elsewhere then it's all good.

I've complained before when people list items as New but then say in the description, I'm listing as New because I've only used it a few times, and ebay just say fair nuff let them get on with it.

If it was a business seller then I'd argue that the correction should be as prominent as the inital headline, which it isn't, so SOGA applies.

Your seller is private though.

But the camera you have received is not a 'Model# DSC-FZ200/ FZ62' (as luckily no such model exists), so I would argue that it still doesn't meet the rules for accurate description.

Here's a comparison, in case ebay think it's just a different number for the same model.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ200-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DM...
grice_philip 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: If you get a complaint in straight away you should be ok as eBay normally side with the buyer. Make sure you push to get it resolved with eBay and not just the seller. I once complained directly to a seller and they strung me along long enough so that when I went to eBay directly it was already too late.
In reply to winhill:

thanks for that

she paid £315 as the advertised buy it now price, which seemed in line with a 2nd hand FZ200

which is way more than a new FZ62 price at £250.

It seems odd or a total rip off attempt for the seller to advertise a camera at more then its market price for the model

just got an email from the seller claiming that it is a FZ200/FZ62 combo

any camera experts out there, we don't believe that there is such a device, is there?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Jul 2013
 craig1983 01 Jul 2013

What does the product label on the camera say it is?
In reply to craig1983:

right at the top on the view finder

Panasonic
FZ62

its a not as described right?
 craig1983 01 Jul 2013

Seller is 'at it'....if it was any kind of combo, which i doubt exists anyway, then it would say so on the product somewhere.
 craig1983 01 Jul 2013
In reply to craig1983:

You could always get the serial number (usually on the bottom of the camera somewhere) and call Panasonic customer services and ask them what it is!
 winhill 01 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Daithi O Murchu)
>
> just got an email from the seller claiming that it is a FZ200/FZ62 combo
>
> any camera experts out there, we don't believe that there is such a device, is there?

That's cool, it really doesn't make any sense to describe it as a combo and she's completely wrong.

It sounds like they have a combined manual though:

By laago (10 months ago)

I received the camera OK but there is no manual.
I went to Panasonic.eu, downloaded the manual, printed it.............over 200 pages only to find the downloaded FZ62 manual had different functions to the actual camera received. So I went back to Panasonic, registered it as OTHER because there is not a FZ62 showing then looked for another manual. I found a manual with the FZ62 I had but it also has the FZ200 which means spending ages separating the pages because they are not separate but mixed together.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/18/Panasonic-announces-Lumix-DMC-FZ60-...

So she's probably misread the manual or a website.

Either way she's prolly stuffed now as she's admitted advertising something that doesn't exist (rather than claiming her decription applied to both models).

I wouldn't point out the bit about the manual as she may try to use that as an excuse, just mail back saying there's no such thing as a combo model and she has misdescribed the item and has to take it back.

Report a dispute to ebay now rather than later, as it tends to focus the mind (hers, not yours).
> (In reply to Daithi O Murchu)
>
> just got an email from the seller claiming that it is a FZ200/FZ62 combo
>
> any camera experts out there, we don't believe that there is such a device, is there?

Absolutely does not exist.
Jim C 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: All you have over her is that you can give her bad feedback and say , you will be reporting her to eBay. If she is a regular seller, that might be enough to Change her mind.

A compromise might be to get the difference in cost of th two cameras back, and keep the other camera. ( but not if the other camera is no what you want)

Good luck either way.
 cuppatea 01 Jul 2013
> (In reply to winhill)

> she paid £315 as the advertised buy it now price, which seemed in line with a 2nd hand FZ200
>

If it was "buy it now" and not an auction you may be able to just send it back for a refund.
Insured and signed for post would be useful as would trying to get the refund from Paypal and not the seller.

http://ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/rights.html

[Copy/paste from link]

What if you change your mind?

Distance Selling Regulations
...The Distance Selling Regulations apply to items purchased via Buy It Now listings and Second Chance Offers on eBay.co.uk. However, they don't apply to auction format listings on eBay.co.uk. ...
Daithi O Murchu 11 Jul 2013
In reply to cuppatea:

good news is we (she ) finally got her money back

but the dodgy ebayer has re-listed it again as an FZ200

search for FZ200 being sold by cheeky_dinosaur

nasty thing to do
 winhill 11 Jul 2013

you can still leave negative feedback
Daithi O Murchu 11 Jul 2013
In reply to winhill:

not leaving neg feedback was part of the deal of the refund

i told Em to go right down to the local John Lewis and get herself a new one

wow that brand new John Lewis Fz200 its a nice camera, best we've ever had in the house and it has a nice guarantee and carry bag and is what it says on the outside FZ200 shes delighted with it .

Sometimes that auction site is a nightmare

never more than 70 quid is my rule for that site now as you can instantly charge back £70 if need be
Bellie 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: and the price is now up to £270... do you think someone aught to ask the seller a question, to confirm the model??? the CD in the pics clearly says FZ62!

Clearly overpriced now.

Blue Straggler 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Bellie:
> (In reply to Daithi O Murchu) and the price is now up to £270... do you think someone aught to ask the seller a question, to confirm the model???

Yes, that would be a nice idea, to save somebody else from the hassle that the OP went through.
 dpm23 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: You can also click the 'Report Item' link on the eBay listing.
 PeterM 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Bellie)
> [...]
>
> Yes, that would be a nice idea, to save somebody else from the hassle that the OP went through.

Done. Whether it'll make a difference now I don't know. Been through the heartache of buying and returning mis-represented goods and getting grief from the seller for the privilege.
 harry1969 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Bellie: Or report the auction itself as it is effectively fraudulent.
 harry1969 11 Jul 2013
In reply to harry1969: For future ref. I posted a question regarding the nature of the driver disk but it doesn't seem to appear immediately. Probably won't appear before the auction ends. Bloody cheek that guy's got. What a crook.
 Oceanrower 11 Jul 2013
In reply to harry1969: I think you'll find it's up to the seller whether he wants the question to appear.

He probably won't.
 PeterM 11 Jul 2013
In reply to PeterM:
Got a reply:

My question:
"Could you confirm the model ? The CD clearly says it is not the FZ200 but an FZ62. These are not the same model so which one is this? Thanks,"

The reply:
"Thats the disc that came with it
It has both model numbers on the box
When i bought it i was sold it as a fz200"
 Big Steve 11 Jul 2013
> (In reply to winhill)
>
> not leaving neg feedback was part of the deal of the refund
>
If you have your money back, leave negative feedback. F**k any deal you made
 deepsoup 11 Jul 2013
In reply to PeterM:
> My question:
> "Could you confirm the model ? The CD clearly says it is not the FZ200 but an FZ62. These are not the same model so which one is this? Thanks,"
>
> The reply:
> "Thats the disc that came with it
> It has both model numbers on the box
> When i bought it i was sold it as a fz200"

Hmm.. The box that isn't included in the sale: "This camera is as new, without the box or packaging."

Sold now, at £281.50 and (good grief!) £20 postage. I hope the new buyer gets their money back too. :o/
 humptydumpty 11 Jul 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

Can someone post a link to the auction here? Not coming up on searches.
 Graeme Hammond 11 Jul 2013
In reply to humptydumpty:

google the item number listed further up this thread and it comes up
(111110683225)
KevinD 11 Jul 2013

what did they say when they handed the cash back? did they admit they were wrong or just give some vague to keep the peace answer?
Daithi O Murchu 12 Jul 2013
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to PeterM)
> Got a reply:
>
> My question:
> "Could you confirm the model ? The CD clearly says it is not the FZ200 but an FZ62. These are not the same model so which one is this? Thanks,"
>
> The reply:
> "Thats the disc that came with it
> It has both model numbers on the box
> When i bought it i was sold it as a fz200"

Yes that what she told me

basically she was ripped off by the shop seller and is passing the rip off on to others
In reply to dissonance:

oh dear auction over

someones been stitched up to tune of 281 notes

Arghhhhhhh!!! makes me mad
 Steve John B 12 Jul 2013
> (In reply to cuppatea)
>
> good news is we (she ) finally got her money back
>
> but the dodgy ebayer has re-listed it again as an FZ200
>
> search for FZ200 being sold by cheeky_dinosaur
>
> 111110683225
>
> nasty thing to do

Nasty indeed. Shame you can't contact the new buyer and let them know.
 deepsoup 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve John B:
No need.
I just had a look and the buyer has already left positive feedback saying: "Thank you for refund after question around correct model spec"

I wonder if the seller will try it on for a third time?
Bellie 12 Jul 2013
In reply to deepsoup: Maybe someone has... and that's what prompted them to ask about the model spec? Something along the lines of... you do realise you have bought an overpriced FZ62 not a 200!
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to Steve John B)
> No need.
> I just had a look and the buyer has already left positive feedback saying: "Thank you for refund after question around correct model spec"
>
> I wonder if the seller will try it on for a third time?

LOL that's makes us so happy here

glad the new buyer gotr there money back

what happens next?

like good TV this is

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...