UKC

New York

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BGG 03 Jul 2013
Hey, over there visiting family for a couple of weeks. Can anyone with experience recommend any of the climbing walls there for bouldering?

And has anyone bouldered in central park - any good if so?

Thanks.
 Graham 03 Jul 2013
In reply to BGG:
I grew up in NY, and bouldered in Central Park for many years. I recall there being a thread here on ny bouldering - have you done a search for it?

The climbing walls will probably all have changed since I left, but the bouldering in the park is fun, lots of moderate grades. Don't go after work or the main boulders (rat and cat rocks) will be packed. Go during the day and you'll likely have the place to yourself. Certainly not "destination" bouldering but if you're already in the city and itching for a climb, it's fun.

hope that helps
 Boogs 03 Jul 2013
In reply to BGG:

http://www.brooklynboulders.com/

Not far from Manhattan .
 rgold 03 Jul 2013
In reply to BGG:
Forget Central Park boulders, the Gunks are an hour and a half away!
OP BGG 03 Jul 2013
In reply to BGG: thanks all
 big john 03 Jul 2013
In reply to BGG: brooklyn boulders is brilliant, better than most crags in the peak!
 rgold 04 Jul 2013
In reply to BGG: There are quite a few gyms in NYC, Brooklyn Boulders is just one. Don't know when you're coming over, but if the following place has opened, http://thecliffsclimbing.com/lic/ , it will probably be the best gym in the city.

But really. C'mon up to the Gunks.
 kenr 04 Jul 2013
Outdoors - A lot of people are liking the newly-opened Powerlinez area in Harriman Park near Suffern NY - (much closer to NYC than the Gunks).

Indoors - along the driving to Powerlinez (or the Gunks) is the GravityVault.com gym on Rt 17 in Upper Saddle River NJ. Not sure how the qualiity of the bouldering route-setting ccmpares with Brooklyn Boulders, but the campusing wall at Upper Saddle River is superior.

Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...