UKC

Dundee Real Ale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Axel Smeets 04 Jul 2013
I'm working in Forfar on Monday morning so I'm staying over in Dundee on Sunday night. Should arrive there about 7pm which means I'll have an opportunity to have a few beers. Can anyone recommend a couple of decent ale houses?

I'll be staying in the Apex Hotel on the waterfront - any within close proximity to this hotel would be good.

Cheers
PopShot 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Axel Smeets:
> I'm working in Forfar on Monday morning so I'm staying over in Dundee on Sunday night. Should arrive there about 7pm which means I'll have an opportunity to have a few beers. Can anyone recommend a couple of decent ale houses?
>
> I'll be staying in the Apex Hotel on the waterfront - any within close proximity to this hotel would be good.
>
> Cheers
>

I have a friend who worked in Dundee for 2 years and he hated it. Very rough and dangerous in many of the pubs I believe. He was plagued by drunken men with shell suits wanting to fight with him and after a while he stopped going out.
Slugain Howff 04 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to Axel Smeets)
> [...]
>
> I have a friend who worked in Dundee for 2 years and he hated it. Very rough and dangerous in many of the pubs I believe. He was plagued by drunken men with shell suits wanting to fight with him and after a while he stopped going out.

He was obviously a born victim. Did he do the right thing and hang himself.
OP Axel Smeets 04 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> [...]
>
> I have a friend who worked in Dundee for 2 years and he hated it. Very rough and dangerous in many of the pubs I believe. He was plagued by drunken men with shell suits wanting to fight with him and after a while he stopped going out.

I will be one of these men you talk about.
 Bacon Butty 04 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> [...]
>
> I have a friend .... He was plagued by drunken men with shell suits wanting to fight with him and after a while he stopped going out.

No surprises there then!!!
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Mennies or the Phoenix on or near the Perth Road or nip down the Fisherman's at Broughty Ferry would be options.
estivoautumnal 04 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> [...]
>

Your attempts are so pathetic they are funny. Genuinely so. Keep it up.
 dek 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:
>
> Mennies or the Phoenix on or near the Perth Road or nip down the Fisherman's at Broughty Ferry would be options.
Ahh Mennies! Remember the strict German woman who used to run it? The 'Hun at the Till'
>
> Mennies or the Phoenix on or near the Perth Road or nip down the Fisherman's at Broughty Ferry would be options.

And I'm sure someone who spends more time in the town than I do will come up with others.
>

Cheers mate, I'll look into these three.
 dek 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Axel Smeets:
There's the pub where climbers meet, near the foot of the Hawkhill, up from the west port. Used to be called the 'Blue Mountain' can't for the life of me remember it's new name though?!
 Bacon Butty 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Pubs and beer are so subjective, I find it's best to wander around and try everything! Even the places 'some' would consider dog rough. You can find some gems this way.
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:
>
> Pubs and beer are so subjective, I find it's best to wander around and try everything!

Ha ha! If I wasn't working the morning after, I'd adopt this policy. However, I think I need a targeted approach this time around!

Jimbo W 04 Jul 2013
In reply to dek:

The Globe? Or Dukes Corner (as the Doghouse)? Or the Royal Oak, where you used to also get a decent curry, but which is no longer a pub at all. I wouldn't recommend the Globe of Dukes Corner.

The Phoenix is probably best for getting a decent ale in decent condition. Mennie's has a couple on at any one time, but their condition isn't as consistent as it used to be. The Fisherman's was sold by Jonathan Stewart to Belhaven, and it still does a big selection of real ale, but I can't vouch for the quality of them.
 malky_c 04 Jul 2013
In reply to dek: The Globe, maybe?

I'd go for Mennies/Speedwells too. Bank Bar on Union Street isn't too bad either. Sadly I didn't develop a taste for decent beer until after leaving Dundee - £1 pints of dish water at the student union bar were still appealing back then!
nickyrannoch 04 Jul 2013
In reply to malky_c:

counting house is a wetherspoons and a 10 minute walk from the apex on reform street.
pros; wide range of real ale/craft beers. 1.90 a pint
cons; its a spoons so no music , not hugely atmospheric but as spoons go its pretty decent.none of the rougher crowd that you will find in lloyds etc

bank bar union street. 10 minutes from apex. nice wee bar but ale selection likely to only be one or two.usually good bands at weekend.

trades house union street. 10 minutes. choice of around 50 draft beers but precious little real ale.still worth a nosey

phoenix - nethergate. 15 minute walk. cosey wee bar.great food. be prepared to be looking over 4 quid a pint though.

dukes corner - west port.15 minute walk. THE craft beer pub in dundee.great selection but again looking north of 4 quid for many pint.gets very very busy on weekend nights.

drouthy neebors-perth road 25 minute walk . similar to dukes.great selection but expensive.

mennies/speedwell perth road. half hour walk or bus or taxi. imo best bar in dundee but a bit far out of town for you.you will get 2 or 3 ales on but the whisky selection is superb.

as a bit of a real ale/craft beer nob my friday nights are usually counting house for a few cheap ones and a bit of variety trying new things before heading to dukes for a couple of pricier old favourites.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...