UKC

Rambling First Run Post

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dutybooty 08 Jul 2013
So, I've just done my first proper run. Feeling rather good and fancy rambling a bit

I've never really took any sort of training seriously but have wanted to start running since a ski-touring trip in Germany where I found my fitness seriously lacking. But lack of motivation prevailed and nothing happened.

At Cliffhanger at the weekend, I popped into ratrace on a whim and bought some new shoes (Inov8s FL230s) as they were the only ones that fitted me well in my size. Heres the first question, they're relatively comfortable stood around, but not completely fitting like a glove, but running, wow they're awesome. Didn't even feel like I was wearing anything. Never once slipped for grip or felt jarred or rubbing or anything. Is this normal?

So tonight I've been up to Redmires resovoir to run around it. Boy it was fun, I struggled to pace myself properly I think, but the run was nice having everything from tarmac to gravel to grass to knee deep mud (I went slightly off the planned route).

Heres my route and times, any input? I don't really understand anything yet, or how I did,but willing to listen to anything anyones got to say. http://runkeeper.com/user/997330778/activity/205860163

Finally theres a bit of aching in my left ham string/achilles, but not painful. Is this just from sudden use? A problem with my technique? Something else?

So yeah...I loved it. Ramble over.
OP dutybooty 08 Jul 2013
In reply to dutybooty: Also I'd guess I ran to about 0.8km, walked to about 1.5km, ran to about 2.6km, walked to 2.8km, ran to about 3.4km, walked to about 3.6km and ran to finish.
phnom-penh-penguin 08 Jul 2013
In reply to dutybooty:

A bit of an ache is normal after, especially if you haven't run for a while. Make sure you warm up and warm down, don't overdo the distance or the pace, and build up gradually over a period of weeks.

I normally run in 35 degrees and very high humidity, so I'm loving running in UK at the moment, the weather is perfect!
 alooker 08 Jul 2013
In reply to dutybooty: great you loved it, nice one. Not an experienced runner or anything, but just got the bug myself! I found a heart rate monitor really helped me see how hard I was working, it lets me set a pace and this helped me with running longer distances.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...