UKC

Tried my hand at a spot of mtb shooting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bimble 10 Jul 2013
In reply to chris fox:

Wow! Absolutely loving the first one, that's amazing. The sequence is damn cool too. Nice work dude.
 Boogs 10 Jul 2013
In reply to chris fox:

Agreed , all are of a very high standard think I prefer the second and fourth pics . They are all worthy of Dirt magazine in my humble opinion .

Nice one .
OP chris fox 10 Jul 2013
In reply

Thanks guys, think i'll search out dirt magazine and send them in.

Here's the info on the shots

1st shot: 7D with 8mm fisheye at high shutter burst remotely fired and on camera 430ex at 1/16th power to be able to recharge for the next shot.

2nd shot was the hardest to work out. I had to overpower the subject as i was shooting into the sun. 7D with 10-22mm @ 10mm ISO 200 f20 and 1/125 sec. 600ex and 430ex both off camera and full power to counteract the sun.

3rd was 6D and 70-200 f2.8 handheld with on camera flash in manual focus (pre-focused at where he was going to get the most movement during the jump as the 6D's auto focus isn't as great as the 7D's. (i was shooting behind a tree but he was coming that fast i had to remember to jump out of the way - hard when you are concentrating on getting the right shot !)

4th was on tripod and obviously photoshop'd. took 3 out of the 8 shots that wouldn't overlap. And that drop-off is huge, i slipped running down the bit he landed on !
 Bimble 10 Jul 2013
In reply to chris fox:

You'll make POD on Pinkbike too with those. And thanks for the tech beta, it's always useful
 Sean Bell 10 Jul 2013
In reply to chris fox: What is the sync speed of the 7D? When shooting into the sun as in the 2nd shot, try running your shutter to max sync speed and work from that(normally around 1/250th) This would allow you to open up the aperture to around f14 and give you an extra stop of flash power(i.e. you could have dropped the output one stop which would save you battery power and increase recycle time) Of course, if you were after the blur effect seen on the riders jersey then 1/125 would obviously be a better choice than 1/250th.
Good first go mate, get out there and keep shooting.
OP chris fox 10 Jul 2013
In reply to SeanB:

I've got pixel kings so can sync on HSS up to silly speed if required. I wanted the blur to give motion and also wanted the starburst effect of the sun.

Thanks for the tips Sean, was my first time shooting mtb, and different mindset to all the other shooting i do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...