Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Eco friendly eating

Eric9Points - on 15 Jul 2013
I've been vaguely vegetarian for twenty odd years now, I don't ever cook bits of dead animal but will eat it if it's put in front of me. I'm not really sure why I stopped eating meat other than a vague notion in my head that beef production was not a good way of producing protein. However I Tim Jones' arguments on here about meat farming being an efficient method of using low quality land and using up by products of other food production sources have led me to modify my views somewhat. Certainly eating Scottish or Welsh lamb and venison seem like sensible things to do.

Further I do eat fish fairly regularly and have been giving this a bit of thought. Am I correct in thinking that from an ecological point of view this is often a dodgy thing to do? Salmon are fed on food made from sand eels (I think) hoovered out of the Atlantic in vast quantities, trawlers are travelling further and further from our ports to catch dwindling quantities of fish. I'm beginning to think that broadly speaking fish is possibly the worst food we can eat from an ecological point of view.

So my list of eco friendly foods in descending order goes something like:

Vegetables (in season and local)
Meat from upland Britain.
Vegetables (in season from elsewhere)
Meat from upland elsewhere.
Meat substitutes such as Quorn.
Sustainably caught fish/seafood.
Vegetables (out of season)
Poultry.
Grass fed UK beef.
Grass fed elsewhere beef.
Fish farmed salmon.

Can't think of anymore right now.

Am I right and does eating turkey twizzlers destroy the planet or just your palette?
... not showing 33 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums