UKC

Tough Mudder/Tough Guy Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mudmonkey 18 Jul 2013
Does anyone know of any cheap annual insurance to cover this sort of thing? I've entered a few races for the second half of this year. I know it is covered on Snowcard/BMC insurance etc. but I am trying to get by without that until December. I need to synchronise with the other half when she renews as the saving as a couple is about £100 for the annual policy we need.

PS I know theses races are over priced, full of goons and a bit commercial and that the fell races are much cheaper/put something back into the community/have a better, more down-to-earth vibe etc. - before anyone starts. I do some of them as well, the Tough Guy thing seems like a laugh though
In reply to mudmonkey5:

This might be a stupid question, but what are you insuring against?
 Banned User 77 18 Jul 2013
In reply to mudmonkey5: the race should insure.

Fell races are.
 yorkshireman 18 Jul 2013
In reply to mudmonkey5:

http://support.toughmudder.co.uk/entries/23879713-Why-do-I-have-to-pay-a-10...

Looks like there's a mandatory insurance fee. Exceptionally vague about what it covers though.
In reply to yorkshireman: I suspect they are making a hellovalotta money out of that!
 parkovski 18 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Fell race insurance is for the event organisers, no? Membership of the FRA probably comes with personal liability insurance - but I assume the OP is looking for insurance against loss injury sustained at his own fault?
OP mudmonkey 19 Jul 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Well, loss of earnings and medical costs really. I work offshore self-employed, so if I'm injured I can't work and need to get back in action ASAP
OP mudmonkey 19 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK: I agree, but they don't. I said don't start about the fell races
OP mudmonkey 19 Jul 2013
In reply to yorkshireman: Thanks, I should read more carefully!
 Banned User 77 19 Jul 2013
In reply to mudmonkey5: If you are in a club I think they also insure.. though that might not cover TG..
 yorkshireman 19 Jul 2013
In reply to mudmonkey5:
> (In reply to yorkshireman) Thanks, I should read more carefully!

I would be very surprised though if it covered what you're looking for (eg. loss of earnings etc). It's probably more geared towards protecting the organisers, and getting you off the course to a hospital if needed.

The bottom line is that the insurance you want, if its going to be valid, is going to be pricey, since there is a good chance (in the insurer's view) that you will do something like break a leg or an arm that will stop you from working.
 jkarran 19 Jul 2013
In reply to mudmonkey5:

> Well, loss of earnings and medical costs really. I work offshore self-employed, so if I'm injured I can't work and need to get back in action ASAP

Are you sure your BMC insurance covers loss of earnings or private medical care in the uk?

jk
In reply to mudmonkey5:
> (In reply to victim of mathematics)
>
> Well, loss of earnings and medical costs really. I work offshore self-employed, so if I'm injured I can't work and need to get back in action ASAP

Ok, that makes sense, but as others have said, I'd be amazed if BMC or Snowcard insurance covered loss of earnings, or private medical costs, and the NHS was free at the point of use last time I checked...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...