UKC

Run a Cham mountain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KlaasW 25 Jul 2013
The first week of September I think I can get away with a long weekend in Chamonix "on my way" to a conference. I would like to run up a mountain using no more than running shoes, running crampons, and an ice axe. I could bring a short rope etc for abseils I guess. Any suggestions for peaks to climb? Or are the mountains there simply too big and glaciated to do this solo? I am travelling from Paris to Lille (...) so wouldn't want to deviate too much.
 JamButty 25 Jul 2013
In reply to KlaasW: Paris to Lille and you want to go via the Alps, whichever way you look at it thats a hell of a deviation.
 goatee 26 Jul 2013
In reply to KlaasW: You coud try Aig Crouches or Mont Buet. There are lots of trails and you could do either the Grand Balcon north or south. Actually Aiguille Berengere would be some day out.
OP KlaasW 26 Jul 2013
In reply to goatee: thanks. Aiguille de la Berangere certainly looks nice! And no real glaciers from the west. Is this not the start of the 41km route done by Johnathan Griffith?

JamButty: yep, just a bit... However, works pays for flight to Paris and train to Lille. It's only an extra £100 to go to Cham and back.
 JamButty 26 Jul 2013
In reply to KlaasW: Nice one, can't offer any meaningful advice but if its part sponsored make the most of it!
In reply to KlaasW:
You are spoilt for choice if you don’t go for the very high summits. Taking equipment is over the top unless climbing and not running is your main objective.
The highest summit I ran was Mont Buet, 3000m meters is probably about the limit in this region without equipment.
There are lots of trails on the south side of the valley on the Aiguilles Rouges, you can even get on to the ridges/ summits with some rock scrambing above Lac Blanc. It is very dependant on the amount of snow when you go though. Amazing view across to the Mont Blanc etc
I did not use axe or crampons, I just picked up a longish shaped stone for a little security on any steep snow crossings.
Other good runs with no snow are from the Midi middle station and across to montenvers.
OP KlaasW 26 Jul 2013
In reply to MikeYouCanClimb: Thanks Mike. I will go for something lower like the balcons if the weather sucks. However, if it's nice then something technical but runnable would definitely be preferable. I've got running crampons, axe, etc.
 clochette 28 Jul 2013
In reply to KlaasW: Get this book, it has loads of ideaas for great trail runs in the Cham area http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/663
 JohnV 28 Jul 2013
In reply to KlaasW:

Grand Floria normal route or Crochues traverse into the Belvedere normal route; the descent from the Belvedere should be snow free by September. Either would make a good day out if you start from the valley floor rather than using the lift.
OP KlaasW 28 Jul 2013
In reply to JohnV: hmmm, sounds like proper (ish) rock climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...