/ What's the best way to access mobile internet in France?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Eann - on 02 Aug 2013
Hi All,

I'm heading to France for a month would like mobile access to the internet. In Italy, I've previously used a pre-loaded mobile data sim purchased for 20 euros, which worked well. However, I'm struggling to find a similar deal for France. Best option i've found so far is a mobile sim which costs 6.99 for 30 days but 1.99 per MB of data, which could prove costly!

Any recommendations of other options would be much appreciated.

Cheers
balmybaldwin - on 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Eann:

EE sent me a text the other day for an offer with my UK phone that allows up to 20mb per day for 2 per day
drolex - on 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Eann: I think most of the major operators have preloaded sims for 20/300Mb

Maybe this? https://www.b-and-you.fr/carte-prepayee
drolex - on 02 Aug 2013
In reply to drolex: bear in mind that for an equivalent service, mobile costs are significantly more expensive in France than in the UK. It was 50% more expensive 2 or 3 years ago, now it is going better, but sill not a lot of competition
Eann - on 02 Aug 2013
In reply to drolex: looks great, though no delivery to the UK, i'll have to see if I can get hold of one whilst i'm out there. Thanks
goose299 - on 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Eann:

Depending on how often you want to access the internet, fee wifi at Macdonalds (and other such places) could be an option
Eann - on 02 Aug 2013
In reply to drolex:
> (In reply to Eann) I think most of the major operators have preloaded sims for 20/300Mb
>
> Maybe this? https://www.b-and-you.fr/carte-prepayee

It is amazing value. I'll try and pick this up or something similar from a local shop when i'm out there.

Mr Lopez - on 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Eann:

If i were you i'd check the t&c's carefully before getting any French SIM.

Admittedly it was a few years ago, but last time i got one i was not aware that from the day you activate the SIM you got x number of days to send the provider a copy of your passport and proof of address (french) otherwise it'll get de-activated.

It may have changed now though.
Carolyn - on 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Lopez:

No, that was still be the case last week ;-)

It was 15 days, although was able to register by emailing them the info plus a photo of passport, so not too contorted.

I used these guys - deals seem to have changed a bit in the last month or two as they've expanded beyond France, but might be something there? They were easy to deal with - a couple of hitches (email with SIM PIN didn't arrive automatically, iPad set itself up with wrong APN settings - there's now a note about needing to write them down) but both were fixed quickly with an email to their customer service.
http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/en/data-bundles.html
Carolyn - on 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

Oops, meant to say that it seemed fine to provide a UK address, rather than a French address.
Eann - on 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Lopez:
> (In reply to Eann)
> i was not aware that from the day you activate the SIM you got x number of days to send the provider a copy of your passport and proof of address (french) otherwise it'll get de-activated.
>
> It may have changed now though.

What a faff. Thanks for the advance notice!
Eann - on 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

Great! Thanks for the advice regarding registration too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.