UKC

Fell running - UK's most dangerous routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1906johns 09 Aug 2013
As the title suggests, what are the most risky and dangerous routes the uk has to offer ? when i say dangerous, i mean the type of 'if i trip or fall i'm going die' type of location

In reply to 1906johns:

Well anywhere that a fall or trip would have the same consequences for a walker. If you mean fell racing then FRA rules state that courses should not go over ground where this is likely to happen or where competitors might dislodge rocks on to other competitors.

I'd reckon that the Cuillin Ridge Traverse is probably the riskiest, even a slip on the easy non-exposed sections is going to hurt.

ALC
 Phil1919 09 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns: I think descending could be dangerous on a number of race routes, if you were to trip and take a headlong fall. Doesn't happen very often but when there are rocks around and you have new long studs.....certainly a lot more dangerous than running uphill.
 steveriley 09 Aug 2013
Longer 'challenge' type stuff like Welsh 3000s and Cuillins for sure. Tryfan Downhill Dash sounds like a surefire way of damaging yourself
OP 1906johns 09 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns: Thanks guys, my thing is that I love the adrenaline you get when totally gripped by a route, whether it be climbing or running. Things like crib Goch for example,where you can just see the danger so clearly if that makes sense ?
 Wonrek 09 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns: try running along the South West Coast Path at night by head torch. More than once I've had 'oh sh*t' moments when I've realised how close I've strayed to the edge.
 Neil Williams 09 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns:

A few years ago some complete pillock, who had his terrified girlfriend with him who he really wasn't looking after properly, legged it along the top of Crib Goch in a blowing gale, tripped and almost took my (similarly terrified) mate off with him. Fortunately he was able to hold on and said pillock regained his footing. We later saw the rescue helicopter and hoped it wasn't for his (possibly ex-) girlfriend.

That do?

Neil
 mbh 09 Aug 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

I haven't tried that yet but want to soon. I can think of bits of it that i have run where you could easily just keep on running and run right off. Coming out of Portreath, for example, toward Basset cove.

I meant to to do a srretch of the Breton coast path, the GR34, by night a couple of weeks ago, but did it by day instead. There were a couple of places on that where you are really close to a fatal drop
OP 1906johns 09 Aug 2013
In reply to mbh: Bits just out of porthtowan are mean at night, especially where the path has suffered landslip down a cliff. Brilliant stuff
 goatee 09 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns: Not exactly in the UK but I reckon this would get your attention youtube.com/watch?v=B_SZh_dW3ic&
OP 1906johns 09 Aug 2013
In reply to goatee: that is intense. love it
 earlsdonwhu 09 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns: Not the sort of place to hang around....

youtube.com/watch?v=Id3HFxs2A8w&
Removed User 09 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns:

How about the Cuillin ridge for Summer and the Ramsay Round for Winter?

Why do you ask?

OP 1906johns 09 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: im looking at pushing it to the extreme, doing routes that require total commitment and nothing less
 Roberttaylor 09 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns: I've seen a guy dislocate his shoulder during the North Berwick Law hill race and a friend of mine was hospitalised after being hit by a rock on the Arrochar Alps hill race.

Cameron94 09 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns:
> (In reply to Eric9Points) im looking at pushing it to the extreme, doing routes that require total commitment and nothing less

Do the Cuillin in winter over one day or something like Tower Ridge on the Ben.
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns: AS regards normal fell races, I can't think of one other than The Bens of Jura, there are places on that that if you got the descent wrong a broken leg could be the least of your problems if you were racing.
 Wonrek 13 Aug 2013
In reply to mbh:
> (In reply to Wonrek)
>
> I haven't tried that yet but want to soon. I can think of bits of it that i have run where you could easily just keep on running and run right off. Coming out of Portreath, for example, toward Basset cove.
>
Living there I know exactly the part that you mean, its a scary mary part of the path!

Banned User 77 13 Aug 2013
In reply to 1906johns:
> (In reply to Eric9Points) im looking at pushing it to the extreme, doing routes that require total commitment and nothing less

Run fast? Or do you want extreme in an easy to get sense?
 Banned User 77 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Jura is shit scary in a few places.. the last pap.. if you get the wrong angle you go off a cliff.. the right angle (the illogical direction) you run down football sized loose scree.. horrid terrain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...