UKC

Any good bouldering in Angus, Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeStuart 19 Aug 2013
Hey,

Does anyone recommend/know of anywhere remotely half decent to go bouldering in the Kirrimuir/Forfar area of Angus?

I've had a gander on UKC and all I can find is Balmashanner Quarry which says "Some bouldering on Left hand wall of quarry and good bouldering traverse of right wall at 7b+ (french route grade)"

I have a car to drive further afield if they is somewhere decent...

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

Mike
 andrew ogilvie 20 Aug 2013
In reply to MikeStuart26: check out stone country press guide to bouldering in Scotland. bouldering described at red crags glen clova, grid reference no292756. problems described up to font 7a+.
 dek 20 Aug 2013
In reply to MikeStuart26:
As said above, just drive a bit further to Glen Clova,beautiful setting, roadside crags, and boulders.
OP MikeStuart 20 Aug 2013
In reply to andrew ogilvie: Cheers to both of you!

I found the Stone Country guide ebook: http://issuu.com/stonecountry/docs/bouldering_in_scotland_2008_ebook?e=1036...

Its only got 1 page on Glen Clover though, I was wondering if either of you knew of any more free topos.

Thanks again
 Hamfunk 20 Aug 2013

https://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Glen_Clova_Bouldering

There is also some traversing to be had at Ley Quarry. Some of the dundee climbers come up to the aberdeen coast for bouldering as there isn't much in the angus area. There is quite a bit around Aberdeen but I won't comment on the quality.
 pebblespanker 20 Aug 2013
Check the tide times and try to make Portlethen near Aberdeen, the John watson guide has a decent selection of problems. Clova is excellent but most of the new stuff is not in a guide yet, check out the SCWiki web page as there used to be a guide available from there, and there is one on UKB with recent stuff from me and a a couple of others- in Clova if you climb V4,Font6B/+ the the John Peel problems are a must do

The Shanner traverse mentioned is I believe in the region of Font 7A/B
OP MikeStuart 20 Aug 2013
In reply to pebblespanker: I'll have a look at Portlethen, cheers.

Aye i've found the SCWiki page on Clova and saved it as a PDF, and I also found your thread on UKB about Clova from 20th June - could you email/link me to the topo please, it would be mighty useful to have the punter grades.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...