UKC

TGO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skol 20 Aug 2013
Hi
Has anyone bought a TGO lately, and is it any good?
I gave it a boycott a while back, as it seemed to resemble Trail.
I just visited the forum and it looked closed, but noticed that they had reverted to The Great Outdoors logo.
Is this because the magazine has lost old readers?
Skol
 buzby 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Skol: i buy it now and again and from time to time it has some good stuff in it but mostly like trail its a rehash again and again of the same old stuff.
mostly hillwalking based as you probably know and while its great to do there is only really so much you can say about walking up and down hills.
some of the recent articles about trips abroad have been not bad.
slightly better than trail but only slighty.
 isi_o 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Skol:
I used to really like TGO as opposed to Trail - it sort of seemed like the grown-up version if you know what I mean. Some well-considered articles about the environment, lyrical essays etc. It does seem to be trying more for the sort of stuff that has traditionally been in Trail of late though, so I've stopped getting it regularly. Still pick up a copy from time to time. Perhaps I've matured more rather than it changing though, I certainly felt that I grew out of reading Trail a couple of years into hillwalking and scrambling regularly.
As to the forums, I suspect that many online forums without the critical mass of the likes of UKC will end up moving mostly onto Facebook as more and more users engage with that medium?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...