Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - buying a cheap 4x4 wagon for winter...

ballsac - on 30 Aug 2013
as we drift out of summer my thoughts turn to winter driving and the fun and games it involves..

i have finally decided to 'do something' with regards to getting about in the snow (rural worcestershire/shopshire/herefordshire border) after a couple of winters on the trot where careful driving in my front WD deisel Mondeo in all year tyres just hasn't cut the mustard.

the problem however is that i do about 25,000 miles a year, most of it on fast, well gritted/cleared A roads and Motorways, and really need a decent MPG. i currently get around 47mpg, and can't afford to replace it with a car that will cope with the snow/ice we have for around 2 or 3 months of the year, and also give 45mpg on the very regular drives to Glasgow.

so, i thought about buying a cheap (less than 2000) Landrover Defender, or Landrover Discovery - or even a 4WD Skoda Octavia just for local winter driving and a very occasion long trip when the wethers really bad. i've seen Octavis around for 600 to 2000, and lots of discos with 150k on the clock for 1200, and defender for around 2K.

are any of these 'bargains' woth touching with a stick, or would i be better off putting 400 worth of winter tyres on my Mondeo?

... not showing 27 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums