UKC

North Lakes - crags for beginners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 djellworth 01 Sep 2013
Good Evening All.

I am heading over to Penrith area this week for a few days (Whinfell Forest Cenreparcs............) with family and am hoping to escape "the compound" for a couple of hours now and then for some climbing.

Any recommendations for easily accessible crags as close as possible tp Penrith with a few easier routes (VD to S ish) that may not be too busy next week?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
 coinneach 01 Sep 2013
In reply to djellworth:

Kings Meaburn / Jackdaw Scar is only 20 mins ish from Whinfell and a great wee crag. Well worth a visit.

Or Armathwaite
 apd 01 Sep 2013
In reply to djellworth: Windmore End about twenty minutes from Penrith is lovely, good routes and great views. Or you could pop into Borrowdale (about 30-40mins depending on how busy the roads are) which have a few nice little roadside crags; Wodens Face and Shepherds Crag.
 goose299 01 Sep 2013
In reply to djellworth:
Headend quarry?
 coldfell 01 Sep 2013
In reply to djellworth: Castle Rock, South Crag- I would say having climbed at all of the others! 25mins from Penrith.
 armus 01 Sep 2013
In reply to djellworth:

Borrowdale is only 45 minutes by bus and much less driving. Nothing close to Penrith is really worth doing compared to that. Ullswater valley is closer but every crag has a big walk in.
 Carolyn 02 Sep 2013
In reply to djellworth:

Carrock Fell boulders might also be worth bearing in mind. I'd definitely go to Borrowdale rather than Head End if I was starting from Penrith.....
 Simon Caldwell 02 Sep 2013
In reply to djellworth:
Armathwaite
 elliptic 02 Sep 2013
In reply to djellworth:

+1 for Castle Rock south, a proper Lakes crag, close to the road with some lovely routes on it.
In reply to Carolyn:

Better for beginners would be Snail Shell Crag, just above the boulders, plenty of 20m Diffs and Severes on excellent gabbro.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...