UKC

Things that make you feel uncomfortable or freak you right out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 05 Sep 2013
Nothing ususally bothers me but this morning, an IT chap came round the house to look at our pc and replace the CMOS battery in it and I immediately felt really uncomfortable in his company!

He looked a bit like the toad guy from A League of Gentleman:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJSp8RPCEAMd908.jpgarge

He had 2 large gold ball earings, one in each ear (the sort a 10 year old girl would wear) worse than that, when he started taking the computer apart, he had the longest most manicured nails I've ever seen in my life!

Now each to their own but he really freaked me out and I was glad when he left!

What has freaked you out or made you really uncomfortable?

bleddynmawr 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: Judging people by their appearance
Clauso 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

People who are incapable of changing a battery freak me out.
 imkevinmc 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: Having to pay someone to replace a CMOS battery
 Steve John B 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Clauso: People who are freaked out freak me out. The freaks!
 John_Hat 05 Sep 2013
In reply to imkevinmc:
> (In reply to Denni) Having to pay someone to replace a CMOS battery

You have a point. My 85-year-old mother recently replaced the CMOS battery on her computer.

Admittedly I was quite surprised it was still working afterwards, but that's my knowledge of my mother's computer building skills (zero, trending to negative) than a comment on the scale of the job.
 Neil Williams 05 Sep 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

If you can change a battery in a remote control, you can change a CMOS battery. People just get scared of taking the lids off things.

Neil
 Niall 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to Darren Jackson) People who are freaked out freak me out. The freaks!

You're a meta-freak!
OP Denni 05 Sep 2013
In reply to andy plumb:
> (In reply to Denni) Judging people by their appearance

Did I actually judge him? Not at all, he just freaked me out.

As for changing the CMOS battery, I did try to do it but it was in an accessible part of the computer and I didn't have the tiniest screw driver available
 xplorer 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

If he freaked you out, he did so on the order of his appearance, you clearly state this in your op.

So yes you did judge him......

I don't like beards, but I wouldn't be freaked out by one, unless it was on a bird. My nanna has one and she is lovely.
Wiley Coyote2 05 Sep 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> If he freaked you out, he did so on the order of his appearance, you clearly state this in your op.
>
> So yes you did judge him......
>
> Only an idiot DOESN'T judge people on their appearance if that's mostly what you have to go on. If I see a shaven-headed, tattoo-covered hulk with a pit bull coming down the street towards me my antennae start twitching. He may be a pillar of the local Rotary Club, church warden and chairman of the local St John Ambulance but, not knowing any of that, I'd keep a wary eye on him. If I see an elderly nun coming towards me I'm pretty relaxed. Feel free to say 'Told you so' should you ever hear I've been knifed by an elderly nun. So yes, I'm judging by appearances and, psycho nunsa prmitting, happy to carry on doing so.
There are other times when, for no reason you can put your finger on, someone just doesn't feel right or a bit creepy. Call it bigotry, call it instinct but, again, I'm happy to pay attention to it.
 xplorer 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

I understand that, I'm a human being. I didn't dispute that it was wrong to judge, we judge constantly every day. I merely pointed out that he did, when he said he didn't.

Keep an eye out for them knifing nuns
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Wiley Coyote)
>

>
> Keep an eye out for them knifing nuns.

I'll not get a wink of sleep tonight now

In reply to Denni:

> What has freaked you out or made you really uncomfortable?

Darren Jackson
In reply to Denni:

To get back to the topic...

Rotating ceiling fans, or any rotating machinery that's obviously unbalanced and precessing. I don't know what it is, but it makes me uncomfortable, literally turning my stomach.
 Queenie 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

100% woollen items...such as jumpers, bags, carpets etc. The thought of their texture makes me cringe and my hands itch.
 Tall Clare 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

The undersides of big ships.
 peppermill 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> The undersides of big ships.

I take it you were Keel-hauled as a child as well then? I understand this one totally.

Watching Paul Hollywood gives me the creeps. It's not so much him, it's when the camera zooms in on him kneading dough. There's just something unnatural about the way his fat little hands move so fast.
In reply to Denni:

Alan Carr. No idea why. Before anyone jumps to the obvious conbclusion I love Graham Norton, who can be just as camp. There's just something about Carr that make my flesh crawl.
 toad 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: The Manchester Ship Canal. Gave me nightmares as a kid!
 Rob Exile Ward 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: I turned up to fix somebody's computer once. They were a bit surprised to see me but said yes it needed fixing, so that's what I did.

It turned out that I'd gone to the wrong address.
 lost1977 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

spiky but smooth surfaces (or surfaces that look that way), totally freak me out
 RagingSphere 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

There's a guy at work that freaks out all the women in the building. There's just something about him that puts them on edge.

He always seems polite enough to me and other than being a bit of a closet racist he seems reasonably normal. The women just can't stand him though.
 Duncan Bourne 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:
perhaps a tale from my teenage years.
At one time my friend and I were on a walking holiday in Devon/Cornwall. We didn't have any particular aim, slept rough and wandered where the wind took us. One evening around dusk we found ourselves in this deserted village, no people to be seen, no lights on in the houses, no sound, shops shut. We must have spent half an hour looking around when we saw our first figure. A single person holding what appeared to be a shotgun walking across fields on the outskirts of the village straight towards us. Without a seconds thought we turned and legged it in the opposite direction as fast as we could.

or earlier this year in Paklenica when my wife and I came to a deserted farm and heard the buzzing of what sounded like a thousand flies. Fortunately our visions of rotting corpses turned out to be a swarm of bees. Phew!
 Duncan Bourne 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
Can I also say that my wife has a talent for freaking me out.
She hides in darkened corners, in cupboards, under beds, etc. and then jumps out on me when I least expect it.
Its like inspector Clouseau and Kato in our house some nights
redsonja 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Duncan Bourne: has she tried the freezer ambush ploy yet??!
ice.solo 06 Sep 2013
In reply to lost1977:

they dont freak me out, but i do recall them from a bout of delirium as a kid (dodgy shepards pie).

is that where you get it from?
andymac 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

Snakes ,and more importantly ,the strange people who keep them in their homes .

I crap myself if I see a slow worm.
 spartacus 06 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:
scarecrows!
 Puppythedog 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: Anything that creeps or crawls and catches me by surprise. I am the spider dealer wither in our house but if one catches me unawares I freak out. Same for things that slither.
 Puppythedog 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: oh and Torries
 althesin 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:
Frayed ropes,

they've got to be pretty frayed though.
 gd303uk 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: people standing too close to me, I know its a British "thing" but if I can feel your body heat and breath my alarms go off and I need to escape, friends strangers it doesn't matter; even my family, the only person that I feel comfortable with invading my space is Shelley.
Pooing on strange toilets, I just can't do it most of the time, for years a would batten down the hatches for days if I was at a festival, its not so bad now, I hover or make a bog roll toilet seat cover, but it still freaks me out.
Any body biting their fork as they eat, fuk that goes through me and if your holding the fork or spoon wrong( don't ask ) I can't enjoy my meal and will probably never eat opposite you again,.

There's is plenty more but I am off to see my shrink.
 RockAngel 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: stairs with no backs really freak me out. I will do anything to avoid them. I cant even watch other people walking up or down them. They are just wrong and should go in the ukc room 101.
Another thing, a friend of my ex really put me on edge. He really creeped me out & i wasnt the only person to think like that about him. Later found out that my ex's solicitor had said he reminded her of fred west!
In reply to Denni: Those very small flies that come into my house as soon as the back doors are open in the summer, then proceed to fly below my ceiling lamp shade in a perfect square flying pattern. Always four sides to the square, equal distance...and the 90 degree turn is done so quickly I cannot understand how they can survive the g force. This would continue for hours if I didnt bring proceedings to a halt with a fly spray.

I end up staring at them wondering wtf must be going on in their tiny heads. I can't relax watching the TV so they get sprayed I'm afraid.
 Clarence 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

Ladders, I will quite happily dangle from a rope or climb without any backup at all as long as it is within my skill but fecking ladders give me elvis-leg.
redsonja 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Clarence: ladders on via ferratas are even worse!
ice.solo 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

some of those alex honnold videos spike my levels.
 Tom Last 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

Abseiling.
 gribble 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

George Osbourne
 Cameron94 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: Jumping in to water from any sort of meaningful height, I can cope with a couple of meters but I won't voluntarily jump off anything higher.

It's not being high that freaks me out I regally solo and I love exposed routes but there's something about it that gets to me.
 Yanis Nayu 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: Not really, but when my daughter was about 2, we went to a kennel in the back of beyond to collect our new rescue dog, and the second she saw the bloke that owned the place she screamed and screamed and looked terrified. It was REALLY spooky. As soon as we left she settled down; she never did anything like it before or after.

I keep waiting to hear about them digging up the bodies...
 Skyfall 06 Sep 2013
In reply to gribble:

I've met GO - I thought he was actually not toooo bad. Now, Grove - now there's a freaking, freaky freak if ever I've freaking seen one!
 Skyfall 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

But, seriously, why has no one mentioned Clowns?

Clowns always have freaked me out. They're just weird and serve no identifiable purpose other than to scare small children and give them sleepness nights into adulthood.
redsonja 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni: rats. even dead ones
 teflonpete 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:

China dolls or clown masks in darkened rooms. Spooks me completely.
 Yanis Nayu 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> But, seriously, why has no one mentioned Clowns?
>
> Clowns always have freaked me out. They're just weird and serve no identifiable purpose other than to scare small children and give them sleepness nights into adulthood.

Clowns freak everyone out.
 RockAngel 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to Denni) Jumping in to water from any sort of meaningful height, I can cope with a couple of meters but I won't voluntarily jump off anything higher.
>
> It's not being high that freaks me out I regally solo and I love exposed routes but there's something about it that gets to me.

Do you wear a crown? carry a sceptre?
 Queenie 06 Sep 2013
In reply to gd303uk:

Aaaargh!....metal cutlery-biters. *The horror*. What is WRONG with these people
 Strachan 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Denni:
Octopus and/ or squid. Don't know why, as I'll happily eat them, but when they're alive, the way their tentacles move creeps me out. I think it may be because a large octopus wrapped itself around my leg once whilst I was standing in the sea in Greece.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...