UKC

Educating Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Enjoyed the opening episode last night. Not sure if Mr Mitchell will live up to my all time hero teacher Mr Drew (Educating Essex).

I know it makes good telly to focus on the trouble makers, but it would be nice to give a bit more airtime to the better students. Hopefully we see more of Ryan. He's TV gold and a bullies dream. I was glad to see that his class seemed to connect with him and embrace his slight oddness.

We didn't have isolation pods when I were a nipper. Seems like a good idea, I would have hated that as a punishment. Amazing to see how trouble makers consume teachers time and disrupt lessons through my adult eyes. I was oblivious to this as a kid. Top show.
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: If only all headteachers were like Mr Mitchell. An altogether personable guy. I've met headteachers that are nothing more than managers and don't know how to connect with the kids or staff. He looks as though he does both equally well. Then of course you have to factor in the editing.
 Ridge 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:

I thought it was excellent. As you say the head's committment to the job and the kids was inspiring. Most of the kids were great, not the demons that the media would have us believe make up today's youth. Also impressed that the head confronted bad behaviour whre a weaker one would let it slide.
I was less impressed with some of the teachers, a couple were treading a thin line in the banter stakes by trying to be too down with the kids. The admittedly gentle piss taking of Ryan before and during his speech could have tipped the wrong way if the class had a couple more disruptive kids, and the "Talking of dogs" line in front of the kids when a female staff member walked in was unprofessional.
All in all a good programme.
In reply to Ridge: ".. and the "Talking of dogs" line.."

yes you're are absolutely right. That would be unacceptable in the staffroom, let alone in the classroom.
In reply to Ridge: I think that coming down to their level to a certain extent helps build trust. The old image of a teacher that demands respect seldom gets any from the kids. it is a fine line that can be easily crossed like with the 'speaking of dogs' comment but if the teacher feels confident he won't offend, then why not? I'm not a big fan of being a strict authoritarian figure of a teacher and I found that it works for me to at least try to be more approachable than some of my peers.
 Ridge 06 Sep 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
I agree completely, but it's a very fine line. The head seems to have it exactly right, some of the others seem to be trying too hard to be liked, which can make them ineffectual and easily manipulated.
 Lukeva 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: Vote Ryan!
In reply to Ridge: You have to remember they will know they are being filmed.
 John Ww 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:
> (In reply to Ridge) ".. and the "Talking of dogs" line.."
>
> yes you're are absolutely right. That would be unacceptable in the staffroom, let alone in the classroom.

You haven't spent much time in ours then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...