UKC

Strength training and running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
What do you experienced runners do for strength training when not running?

I go to the gym and do a bit of upper body stuff and core but I tend to ignore my legs as these get a good workout when I run. Am I missing something here? Would some lunges, presses, deadlifts, squats etc help with the running.

(we're talking middle distance running here not sprinting so regularly 10-20kms with some half marathon training coming up and plenty of fast 5ks)
 Banned User 77 06 Sep 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Maybe some core.. as little as possible for the upper.. the last thing I want is a heavier upper body...

Hill reps, track work will strengthen the legs, cycling will also..

depends what my aim is. If mountain running leg strength is more important than flat ultra's.
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) Maybe some core.. as little as possible for the upper.. the last thing I want is a heavier upper body...
>
> Hill reps, track work will strengthen the legs, cycling will also..
>
> depends what my aim is. If mountain running leg strength is more important than flat ultra's.

Hey Iain, Im an enthusiastic non affiliated runner who likes to run during the week, park runs at the weekend (thanks UKCers for helping me discover this - great fun) mainly to get fit, secondly to achieve a slightly better time than last time or a slightly further distance (call it personal achievement) and thirdly to get away from the bloody kids and wife when the are driving me nuts.

Whilst I participate in 10ks and my 1st HM is looming I am about a zillion miles from your league, I suspect.

steveriley 06 Sep 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
The only stuff I do that isn't running (I do the biking anyway) is a bit of rehabbie type stuff for ankles and knees - one legged squats, balance stuff, hops, etc, after too many glass ankle incidents.
In reply to SteveRi: Yeah I do lots of balance work... I feel it when I don't...
 Ander 06 Sep 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: In order of most important- Front lunges, Rear lunges, Plie lunges, and one legged squats would do you the world of good.
Removed User 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Ander:

I've not quite figured this out.

If you run 4 or 5 days a week how do you schedule in weight training for your legs that's going to leave them tired and detract from your running training?

...bearing in mind that weight training isn't any different from running, you need to do it every few days to make much improvement.
In reply to IainRUK: Apologies for hte hijack, but Iain would you recommend a wobble board for strengthening ankles? I suffer from hypermobility in all my joints and I sprained my ankle running over the Carneddau in feb because of it. Don't want that to happen again.
In reply to higherclimbingwales: They are bloody hard... but yeah anything like that.. but wash the plates stood on one leg.. brush your teeth on one leg.. loads of one legged squats.. just anything.. stood in a queue at the shops.. 1 legged squats..

Once you sprain it you need to do a fair bit because it takes months.. 6 months plus to really get the security back..
 Skol 06 Sep 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
Wobble boards will strengthen to a degree, but are more for improving proprioception, so that your brain will ask muscles to work to prevent eversion/inversion injuries of , in your case, the ankle.
True strengthening exs would be standing heel raises, toe raises.You can strengthen invertors and evertors of the ankle with some band or bike inner tube.
ice.solo 07 Sep 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

General strength traing helps with most things but depends on how much it cuts into your running. Periodizing would be a good idea, with cycling strength training.

Doesnt need to add weight at all, but serious gains requires rest that will reduce your running time, likewise big runs will interfere with strength schedules.
Maybe 2 or 3 strength phases per year with regular but minimal maintenance and accepting some loss.

Leg conditioning will help, but thats more than just about strength. Id include plyometric, ROM, stress and back of leg work too.
 nw 07 Sep 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: If it is just a mild amount of strength work do it on the same day as you run, before a rest day. That way you at least get a clear 24hrs off.Whichever is most important to you, do that first.
 Keendan 07 Sep 2013
In reply to nw:

A few all out sprints eg 10 x 100m with good rests would get my vote. It's quite releasing as being a distance runner you don't get to run at your max very often.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...