UKC

when are results of ballot for London marathon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robyn Vacher 11 Sep 2013
I know its October but any idea when in Oct and is it email or post?
 davegs 11 Sep 2013
In reply to Robyn Vacher:

Normally towards the end and by post.
 Jon Jones 11 Sep 2013

"The 2014 online ballot is now closed
We're sorry but the online ballot for the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon is now closed. If you've already entered the ballot, we’ll let you know in early October whether you've been successful".

DancingOnRock 11 Sep 2013
In reply to Robyn Vacher: Last year I'm sure the emails came out in the last weekend of September, the "Sorry you've been unsuccessful but there are loads of charities looking for runners" magazine landed a few days later. There is also a 'secret' page on their website. It's so secret that I can't remember it but no doubt someone will post it in a forum somewhere at some stage.
Robyn Vacher 26 Sep 2013

Has anyone had confirmation yet? I've seen posts on a friend's Twitter feed that she had got a ballot place but then someone else posted to say it can't be true yet?
 yorkshireman 26 Sep 2013

I've had nothing yet - why they can't send an email I don't know but then it took them long enough to offer online entries so they're hardly the trailblazers of internet commerce. I can't remember which address I used so not sure where they'll send the magazine (I don't live in the UK but I think I did a normal ballot entry - UK citizen, probably used parents or inlaws address).

It's annoying they don't announce it before they open entries for Paris, since I would do one or the other perhaps. I've held off Paris but the prices go up the longer you leave it.

I think maybe if I don't get London, then Berlin will be the next one.
 yorkshireman 26 Sep 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:

Looks like a few on RW forum have been getting magazines through.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/am-i-in/263406.html
 knthrak1982 26 Sep 2013

Nothing for me yet either. Do they still prioritise previous ballot failures over new entrants? This is my fourth attempt.
 yorkshireman 26 Sep 2013
In reply to knthrak1982:
> (In reply to Robyn Vacher)
>
> Nothing for me yet either. Do they still prioritise previous ballot failures over new entrants? This is my fourth attempt.

Not any more - the year I got in (2009) was the last year they gave guaranteed entry if you'd been rejected 5 years running.

It's just too oversubscribed to make that feasible.
 Uluru 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Robyn Vacher: I got my 'sorry' magazine in the post today Annoyingly my boyfriend also put his name down but wasn't really that up for it and got in. Double
 knthrak1982 26 Sep 2013

My new black jacket and reject magazine were waiting for me when I got home from work. Oh well, hope some of the rest of you had more luck.
 Wonrek 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Robyn Vacher: I'm a smurf. Fine by me, I ran it this year and had a ball but the whole experience left me nearly £500 out of pocket so being a smurf is kinder to my bank balance

DreadyCraig 26 Sep 2013
got my jacket ttoday. kinda gutted as I want to do at least one marathon before my knees are wrecked, but also pleased as I have a baby, so not much time for training
 Jon Jones 27 Sep 2013

Got my "I'm in!" magazine yesterday!

But then it was my place deferred from last year as I was taken into hospital 3 weeks before the run
 yorkshireman 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Jones:

Phoned my parents - rejection magazine and free jacket got posted. Looks like I'll try something else.
 The New NickB 27 Sep 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig:

It's not the only marathon you know!
 Rich_cakeboy 27 Sep 2013
In reply to The New NickB: magazine arrived yesterday
yes do another marathon then you can get a good for age so you know you're in The official gubbins arrived yesterday
 Jon Jones 27 Sep 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Snowdon Marathon is what I'd like to run sometime. Nice views!

(and nice hills!)
 DreadyCraig 27 Sep 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
Yeah, thinking of signing up for Brighton marathon. Still not sure though Re the previous comment about new baby and time constraints
In reply to Jon Jones:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> Snowdon Marathon is what I'd like to run sometime. Nice views!
>
Snowdonia is on that I have done, twice in fact. Great views, not that I saw them second time. I'll be doing Manchester again in 2014.
 steelbru 27 Sep 2013
I'm signed up for Greater Manchester ( week before London ) - officially the flatest marathon in the UK, 45m of vertical over 26.2 miles.

Early bird discounts finish at end of the month
 DancingOnRock 27 Sep 2013
In reply to steelbru: I did New Forest on Sunday. Over 1000ft ascent, about half that of the Snowdonia Marathon I hurt quite a bit.

Loads of marathons are much better than London but even my running buddies seem to want to do London. Only London or London first, I'm not sure which.

I don't think I would want to do London as my first one.
In reply to DancingOnRock:

My girlfriend did London as her first and really enjoyed it, she has done lots since, multiple Loch Ness and Manchester, Chester, Coniston (trail) and a few others, but would like to do London again. As would I, hopefully the sub 3:05 required at Manchester and I can get a GFA for London in 2015.
 steelbru 27 Sep 2013
I could have doen London in 2014 as I got GFA earlier this year - I was put off by clubmates who ran it, and even at the 2:55 - 3:05 pace it was very congested and they couldn;t get an even pace going or choose a decent line.
 yorkshireman 27 Sep 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> I don't think I would want to do London as my first one.

It was my first in 2009 and I loved it - fantastic crowds and great atmosphere. Since I was only concerned with finishing, it meant I could lap that up.

I did Paris this year, again good support and great route but I was aiming for sub 3:10 so was less fussed on the 'event'. Next one I want to do sub 3 if possible (last ever shot I think before I get to the wrong side of 40) but even then I don't want to do something too low key and quiet.

My wife is running her first half in Lyon next Sunday so I'll check out the vibe there - may be a good option next year.
 DancingOnRock 27 Sep 2013
I think I was just really commenting on people's fixation on the London.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...