UKC

Polarising Filters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 12 Sep 2013
Stupid question, but I've just bought one of these rascals and I'm not sure how to use it. Do you twist the thing so that the polarising effect is horizontal - if so, how do you know that it is?
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Are you using a SLR Rob? Then just twist it til it looks good to you.
In reply to stroppygob: Yes I am, though I wasn't sure that I could see any difference through the viewfinder - but if that's what you're supposed to do, that's what I'll try. Thanks.
 MJ 12 Sep 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

To see the effects of a polarising filter, you will need a sunny day. If and when this happens (you're in South Wales...), it will work at its best when the sun is at 90 degrees to the lens. When the sun is at this angle, turning the filter should make a noticeable difference to what you see in the view finder.
In reply to MJ:

One tip about polarising filters is that they slightly affect the colour temperature of the picture. Turned one way the picture will be biassed slightly towards green, the other way towards magenta. It's worth checking out which is the magenta direction, because that invariably looks better (it counteracts the blue/ultraviolet effect of the sky), whereas the other way gives the sky a rather horrible greenish tinge.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Thanks folks, I look forward to experimenting when the sun comes out next...
 nic mullin 12 Sep 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: you can also use a polarising filter to highlight or reduce reflections in shiny surfaces/water etc. The method is exactly the same - turn the filter till you like what you see - but doesn't require a sunny day. Angle between the camera and the reflecting surface also has an effect in this case. Have fun!
 TobyA 12 Sep 2013
 tipsy 12 Sep 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: It does depend whether it's a linear or circular polarizer.
 Bimble 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Don't forget it'll knock your exposure down a couple of stops too.

I use one for a job that involves taking portraits through moving car windows, and as other have said, it's just a case of turning the filter until it looks right.
Douglas Griffin 13 Sep 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

> Don't forget it'll knock your exposure down a couple of stops too.

It'll reduce the amount of light reaching the film/sensor by a couple of stops. The exposure time (or ISO setting) can be adjusted to compensate; depending on the setting the camera may well do this automatically.

The filter can be used as 2-stop ND filter - I occasionally do this when I want to lengthen the exposure slightly.
 TobyA 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:
> depending on the setting the camera may well do this automatically.

As I generally shoot on auto and am happy with the shots I'm getting with my polarising filter, would you guess my camera is doing that?

I somehow managed to loose my first one back in the winter after five or six years of use. Anyway, I really missed it - skies not blue - hence bought the new one quite quickly, although I'm not sure it's as good as the first one.

Brian 13 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:I must admit that leaving a polariser on your lens all the time is a strange concept to me – I don’t personally know anyone who would.
 Toerag 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Does anyone have any recommended brands? I've just got a proper camera and need one (to reduce glare off the sea - I've worn polarising sunglasses for years and know how useful they are).
 Richard Carter 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Toerag:

The best one I've used are 'Hoya HD'. Dead easy to clean (unlike most!), plus they lose a lot less light than most.
Douglas Griffin 13 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> As I generally shoot on auto and am happy with the shots I'm getting with my polarising filter, would you guess my camera is doing that?

I reckon so. The camera will work out the exposure time based on the amount of light reaching the sensor, and the ISO setting - it doesn't know that there's a filter on the lens. So you should be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...