UKC

Lightweight shoes for belaying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 14 Sep 2013
Hi. I'd welcome suggestions for the smallest profile, lightest weight, most comfortable, rough ground-friendly footwear to clip to my harness when on the lead, and wear when belaying top or bottom. I've seen Crocs in use everywhere over the summer. But which footwear makes the best shoulder season equivalent?
 GridNorth 14 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB: I have a pair of these for descents fromm long mountain routes: http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/evolv-cruzer-p-1538.html They are very light and have sticky rubber on the sole.
 Postmanpat 14 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

How are they on grass and wet grass? I've been look infant the Inov8 range but these are as light and half the price.
 GridNorth 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Postmanpat: Don't know I haven't used them in anger yet.
 GridNorth 14 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth: I would add that they do not appear to be the most robust of shoes. I wouldn't use them as a serious approach shoe for example but they are so light that they are perfect for carrying for descents.
OP BnB 14 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth: If I can be so cheeky as to ask what they weigh for the pair? Will be interesting to compare against my Guide Tennies, which are a proper approach shoe, or "VDiff shoe" as one of my climbing acquaintances calls them. What I'm after here you might call "belay slippers"
 Postmanpat 14 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:

7.7 ozs, 218gms
 Jonny2vests 14 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:

Cheap sandals.
 earlsdonwhu 14 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB: Black plimsolls???
 GridNorth 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests: My mate wore sandals up to the time that he spiked his foot on some exotic plant in Morocco and ended up in hospital.
 Martin Bennett 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

To hijack the thread with a blatant sales pitch I've a pair of Inov8's too many so can offer you my little used pair of Inov8 f-lite 230. 460 grams per pair and they have some tread but not quite fell running "football studs" - may be just the compromise you're after. £39 posted?

You can see 'em here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-f-lite-230-shoes/
OP BnB 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to BnB)
>
> 7.7 ozs, 218gms

Is that for the pair or a single shoe? My Guide Tennies by way of comparison, are 850g the pair.

I wonder what these beauties weigh? http://www.crocs.co.uk/crocs-blitzen-ii-clog/14461,en_GB,pd.html?cid=41C&am...
 Jonny2vests 14 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests) My mate wore sandals up to the time that he spiked his foot on some exotic plant in Morocco and ended up in hospital.

Poor bugger.
 Postmanpat 14 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:

Pair I believe
OP BnB 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to BnB)
>
> Pair I believe

Just checked the Evolve website. The weight quoted is for a single shoe, a pair weighs 470g, half the weight of my 5.10s.
 Gone 14 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:

Merrell Trail Gloves? Weigh about 170g per shoe and you can partly fold them up to stick in a backpack or big pocket. More expensive than the other options, but are a pretty long lasting running shoe and are very comfy without socks.
OP BnB 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Gone: That's an excellent suggestion.
 martinph78 14 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB: I was also going to suggest a running shoe.

I still don't get the whole "approach shoe" thing. Not when £25 gets you something lighter (339g per pair):

http://www.sportsdirect.com/new-balance-710-mens-trail-running-shoes-213100
 ciaran1999 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Gone:

Trail gloves are £55 at the minute in Cotswolds
 Postmanpat 14 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
> [...]
>
> Just checked the Evolve website. The weight quoted is for a single shoe, a pair weighs 470g, half the weight of my 5.10s.

Sorry, my mistake. I was told Innov 8 quoted weights are for pair so assumed others were. Not even sure hat is right now!
 Postmanpat 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin Bennett:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
>
> To hijack the thread with a blatant sales pitch I've a pair of Inov8's too many so can offer you my little used pair of Inov8 f-lite 230. 460 grams per pair and they have some tread but not quite fell running "football studs" - may be just the compromise you're after. £39 posted?
>
Hmm. What size?

Flashy 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin1978: If you just want to walk in then trainers, or fell running shoes if you're serious, as exactly what you want. But if you also want to climb in your shoes then approach shoes are an advantage.
ice.solo 15 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:

a pair of last season new balance minimals.
i dabbled in five fingers when they first came out (several years before they took off after getting their marketing together) and found getting crushed toes into individual slots annoying, especially when cold (i noticed you stipulated shoulder season).
with a pair of cheap minimals, you can throw some socks on too.

if you look about, some brands like merrel do minimalist shoes with stickish rubber soles, but they weigh more.
 Robert Durran 15 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:

These: http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-XTalon-212.html?L=26

Very, very light. Very quick drying. Great grip. Tag for clipping onto harness.
 Martin Bennett 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

I've a pair of Inov8's too many so can offer you my little used pair of Inov8 f-lite 230. 460 grams per pair and they have some tread but not quite fell running "football studs" - may be just the compromise you're after. £39 posted?
>
Hmm. What size?

Doh! Apologies for omitting the most vital bit of info - They're size 8.5 UK. Drop me an email if they sound right for you. Cheers.
 ericinbristol 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yep, I have the X-Talons. Ultra light and have grip. When I want to go lighter and the descent is gentle I use £5 flip flops.
 Martin Wing 15 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:
Merrel Trail Gloves are great. Iv had mine over a year now and used them on loads of mountain and sea cliff multipitch for descents. You never notice them on the back of your harness like normal shoes swinging around.
 Marek 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Gone:
> (In reply to BnB)
>
> Merrell Trail Gloves? Weigh about 170g per shoe ...

Can second this. Amazingly comfortable shoe if you like walking in bare feet, but want some protection and grip.

AlanLittle 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin Wing:

+1 for Trail Gloves as "descent shoes".

I only wear my approach shoes if I intended to actually wear them all day and climb in them - easy alpine rock ridges etc.
 Carolyn 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Gone:

Yes, I reckon Merrell barefoots are probably a good option if the descent is fairly straightforward (although sole on the trail might have reasonable grip? Mine are the pace glove) - steep grass or scree, etc, I'd chose my inov8 fell shoes, but the Merrells are much lighter for straightforward stuff.

Sports Direct sometimes has the Merrells on offer.
 Martin Wing 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
Iv used mine on Cloggy and Gogarth Main Cliff. The grip is really good.
 Carolyn 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin Wing:

Unfortunately they don't seem to do a women's version in UK (though I might fit the bottom of the men's range). OTOH, I can't recommend Vivo barefoots for descending steep muddy banks after trying to follow the kids down one in the park....
 Martin Wing 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
My mates got the Pace Glove and they do seem pretty slippy as well.
 snapperdan 15 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB: My old pair of inov8 x-talons are perfect.
 CMcBain 15 Sep 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Another vote for new balance minimus, I picked up a last season pair for 17.99 or something. They have a loop for clipping onto your harness and weigh virtually nothing, about 175g for the pair. For such a light shoe they've lasted quite long, I used them for approaches in the alps and all summer and think they've still got a bit of a life left in them. Obviously they wont last as long as a pair of proper hill running/approach shoes but they weigh a lot less.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...