UKC

computer anti viral cheap packages-any ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MargieB 16 Sep 2013
Hi, Do people know of and can recommend cheap anti-viral packages for my computer? thanks
cap'nChino 16 Sep 2013
In reply to MargieB: Microsoft security essential. Worked for me for the last few years with not problems. Doesn't slow the computer down at all. Its free too!
 fire_munki 16 Sep 2013
In reply to MargieB:
As above.
ceri 16 Sep 2013
In reply to MargieB: AVG (lowercase)?
 Tall Clare 16 Sep 2013
In reply to MargieB:

Avast has been working well for me for some years now.
 Milesy 16 Sep 2013
Plenty of free stuff works just fine.

AVG, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, & Spybot on here.
In reply to MargieB
No problems with AVG free over many years, although it does slow down the start up of the pc and when it updates (fine otherwise). There is a paid version, but I've never tried that. http://www.avg.com/
 Mike Stretford 16 Sep 2013
In reply to cap'nChino:
> (In reply to MargieB) Microsoft security essential. Worked for me for the last few years with not problems. Doesn't slow the computer down at all. Its free too!

Yeah. I've got it on 4 pcees i'm responsible for with no problems at all and no slow down, also for a few years.
Removed User 16 Sep 2013
MSE as the others have said, if you feel you must pay for something that does the same job that MSE does for free then please don't get any of the following:-

AVG
Norton
Mcaffee

All 3 of them are worse than viruses themselves in the amount of resources they consume and their persistance in lingering even after removal. Plus they suck at the only thing they need to do, detect bad stuff.
 Milesy 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> AVG
> Norton
> Mcaffee
>
> All 3 of them are worse than viruses themselves in the amount of resources they consume and their persistance in lingering even after removal. Plus they suck at the only thing they need to do, detect bad stuff.

Sorry but that is nonsense. Any of them operating on a clean machine will have no problems. When people have them on machines which are riddled with crap, and the general condition of the PC is crap then yes it is going to be hard to remove, particularly when conflicting software and different versions have been installed over each other. The Windows winsock stack is pretty brittle. None of those applications suck - the price of them do maybe - but the detection on all of them is very good if you have a clean machine and keep everything up to date. The only failing is root kit related infections which are becoming more and more sophisticated, but that is not the fault of the virus removing applications and the only way they can be come efficient rootkit removers are to become rootkits themselves, and that is a technical and legal mindfield.

Removed User 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy:

If you're having to run antivi/antimal and antispyware on your machine to keep it clean I don't think you're really in any position to call my comment nonsense.
OP MargieB 20 Sep 2013
In reply to MargieB: Thanks to everyone for your ideas. Helped me out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...