UKC

Americas Cup - anyone been watching it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 16 Sep 2013
Probably posting in wrong forum but what the heck. I was watching the BBC coverage of the Americas Cup yesterday and today and have been totally absorbed. I had no idea those huge boats could go so fast or that they effectively 'fly' clear out of the water! Also, what a fantastic venue and conditions in San Francisco Bay.

One question though: if Ben Ainsley is a Brit, how come he's sailing for Oracle Team USA?!
 frqnt 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Fraser:
> I had no idea those huge boats could go so fast or that they effectively 'fly' clear out of the water!
Hydrofoil is the term you're looking for.

> One question though: if Ben Ainsley is a Brit, how come he's sailing for Oracle Team USA?!
Don't go there; ask yourself why NZ couldn't defend the AC in 2003? The larger budgets of the international teams coerced our sailing prowess to change ship, no pun intended. We lost many'a good sailor to the Swiss' 2003 challenge and the result was NZ failed to defend. Similarly, Russell Coutts is a Kiwi and you could attribute a large amount of Oracle Team USA's success to his experience.

Regardless of the politics, the racing makes for gripping viewing IMO.
 Tony the Blade 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Fraser:

I've been gripped since day one! As a watchleader on the old Challengers, seeing these AC72's flying across the bay is a thing of beauty.

Did you see ETNZ nearly go over yesterday? Made the hairs on my neck stand up!

Forget the politics (James Spithill, OTUSA skipper, is an aussie!) And enjoy the show!
Pan Ron 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Fraser:

For anyone interested: youtube.com/watch?v=gI23dMgAD_k&

Man, these boats literally fly!
OP Fraser 17 Sep 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Hydrofoil, yes that's the term, doh! (I think the commentator used some other term yesterday but can't remember what it was) So are the majority of the competitors simply hired guns, out to get the glory for the nominal winning 'country'?

In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Did you see ETNZ nearly go over yesterday? Made the hairs on my neck stand up!

That was amazing wasn't it! The on-board cameras really make it for me, and yesterday seeing the two boats charging almost head on at a combined speed of 80 knotts was pretty impressive. For such huge craft, they're incredibly manoeuverable.

Dave 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Fraser:

Yes, as a keen sailor and sometimes doing a bit of racing myself I've been watching it, though its a bit difficult to relate the offshore racing I've done to this. Its got pretty gripping with the Oracle comeback, though they've got a tough hill to climb to retain the Cup. Hats off to the guys who made thrilling racing in giant foiling cats a reality, there were many sceptics, me included. Perhaps the disappointment was in the challenger series with too few boats and no real competition for NZ. I'm on a 10 hour time difference with San Francisco so another late night ahead for watching tonights races on the live feed.
 Guy 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Fraser: I used to be amazed watching the foiling Moths but seeing these huge boats up and foiling is just gobsmacking. HYDRO! That shout will be burnt in my mind as I watched them nearly go over.
 Padraig 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Fraser:

I caught a short program about the technology of the boats/the new graphics at the weekend and was astonished by the speed & power!!! Since then I've been hooked.
 Tony the Blade 17 Sep 2013

Looking dodgy for tonight's do or die battle- the breeze is up I'm afraid!

With ETNZ only needing 2 wins I fear we may have to wait as the 23-knots limit for the final is under threat on two fronts; the strong ebb tide of 2.5 knots would reduce the wind limit to 21 knots.

Dave 17 Sep 2013
>
> Looking dodgy for tonight's do or die battle- the breeze is up I'm afraid!
>
> With ETNZ only needing 2 wins I fear we may have to wait as the 23-knots limit for the final is under threat on two fronts; the strong ebb tide of 2.5 knots would reduce the wind limit to 21 knots.

That would be a shame, though it seems that a stronger breeze might favour Oracle so I'm all for a postponement, as long as they don't do it half way through a 20 minute race as they did the other day.
 Tony the Blade 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Dave:

Beaten by the breeze. Tomorrow looks better
 Dave 18 Sep 2013

Anybody watching ? One race to go, maybe......
Kipper 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Dave:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> Anybody watching ? One race to go, maybe......

Good to see Oracle getting stuffed (although Ainslee seems to have proved himself). Hope NZ choose 'proper' boats next time.

Chris Harris 19 Sep 2013
In reply to David Martin:
> (In reply to Fraser)
>
> For anyone interested: youtube.com/watch?v=gI23dMgAD_k&
>
> Man, these boats literally fly!

Bit slow....

youtube.com/watch?v=sZVIj5TUSKE&

In reply to Fraser: Not sure how long you have followed the Americas cup for, but my Uncle helped design the "aircraft wing" sail of Stars and Stripes H3 that walked it in 1988
OP Fraser 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:
> (In reply to Fraser) Not sure how long you have followed the Americas cup for, but my Uncle helped design the "aircraft wing" sail of Stars and Stripes H3 that walked it in 1988.

I only started watching it last Sunday, which was Saturday's highlights I think. I'll google that sail you mention - sounds intriguing, thanks.

Unfortunately, I'd set the recorder to get the final day's racing, but must have set it to the wrong channel / time, so I missed it

Tony the Blade 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús)
> [...]

>
> Unfortunately, I'd set the recorder to get the final day's racing, but must have set it to the wrong channel / time, so I missed it

OTUSA live to fight another day! Nail biting stuff.
 Tony the Blade 25 Sep 2013

I cannot believe that this regatta is going to be decided on a single race!

Well done to OTUSA for pulling off an amazing come back, however I hope that ETNZ can spoil the party and produce an amazing win!

Go NZ!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...