UKC

Things to do in Leeds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PebblePusher 25 Sep 2013
Hi All,

The missus and I are about to move to Leeds in the next month and as we know nobody there are looking to get involved in a few different things and wondered if anybody had any ideas. Open to all suggestions.

We will no doubt join the Leeds wall and make that a regular thing and then get out to the new (to us) crags in the area when the weather allows but are looking for a few ideas for other options. Any particularly good Yoga classes? Dance (hmmm?) ... anything really.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

(Oh and if anyone has a house they want to rent out to us then let me know, we are looking for probably Chapel Allerton area)
 BethanWhite 25 Sep 2013
In reply to PebblePusher:
I really liked the Yoga Lab when I lived in Leeds:
http://www.yogalabs.co.uk/
 Steve John B 25 Sep 2013
In reply to PebblePusher: Lots of different things on at Seven Arts:

http://www.sevenleeds.co.uk/shared/cms/interface/view.aspx?id=22
Removed User 25 Sep 2013

Get pissed in the Adelphi
Get pissed in Whitelocks
Get pissed in the Angel
Get pissed in North Bar
Get pissed in Milo
Get pissed in Sandinista
Get pissed in Mojo

Don't get pissed on Call Lane
Don't get pissed in Headingley
Don't get pissed in Chapel Allerton (although Further North is worth a look)

Leeds wall used to be full of cliquey w@nkers and run by nobheads. That was several years ago though, it may have changed.
Removed User 25 Sep 2013
In reply to BethanWhite: I used to work with Jamie from Yoga Lab, pushing pizza!
OP PebblePusher 25 Sep 2013
In reply to All:

Thanks for the tips, that seven arts looks like a winner and the yoga is inevitable (the other half really wants to try it).

Out of curiosity, why do you say not to go drinking in Chapel Allerton my research suggests it's a really nice place?! If that's wrong I'm looking at the wrong houses!
lostcat 25 Sep 2013
In reply to PebblePusher: Go to Elland Road to see the(not so) mighty (anymore) Leeds United.
Go to the dark and dingy Cockpit to see a Indie/Punk/Rock band.
I'd second The Adelphi and Whitelocks pubs and The Hop is also pretty good.
Removed User 25 Sep 2013

I find Chapel A all a bit poncy 'young professional' and rather expensive. My sis lives there, it's quite nice as a matter of fact, but the pubs/bars in the main aren't up to much I don't reckon, mainly because of the people in them.
 JayPee630 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Yup, Chapel A is a bit poncy and full of whatever the word for yuppies is now. Try Woodhouse near Waitrose, some lovely houses there that back straight onto the Ridge for walks and runs.
lostcat 25 Sep 2013
In reply to lostcat: The Hop is a bit trendy and poncy but does have some good beers.
> Chapel A is a bit poncy ... Try .. near Waitrose...

Mm. Can't just be me that sees a discrepancy here, Shirley?

T.

you forgot the Duck and Drake on Kirkgate (15 handpulls!) and the Victoria and Commercial (somewhere behind the town hall). My Dad recently took me to the Templar - a bit unprepossessing at first (my Dad's description "full of real people... not shoppers") but lots of really good real ales.
 Sam_in_Leeds 25 Sep 2013
In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to Hardonicus)
>
> Yup, Chapel A is a bit poncy and full of whatever the word for yuppies is now. Try Woodhouse near Waitrose, some lovely houses there that back straight onto the Ridge for walks and runs.

You're thinking of Meanwood bit up near Waitrose mate.

I wouldn't touch Woodhouse with your barge-pole. Or Hyde Park for that matter.

Good point though, top bit of Meanwood Road is v.nice. Handy for getting out of town too on to Ring Road etc. Used to be able to get to Caley in 15 minutes when I lived up there and there's one or 2 nice bars up that way now like East of Arcadia and that new North Bar. Def an area on the up too IMO (Probably why I now live in the slightly further to go before it's up and coming (Armley).

Close enough to Headingley/Cottage Road Cinema etc but not too close to be full of students/noisy (although Headingley is now far less studenty than say 10 years ago).
 Sam_in_Leeds 25 Sep 2013

Music on a Friday's pretty good in The Hop tho.

Mr Foley's on corner of East Parade/Headrow (Opposite Town Hall) is pretty good for beer choice or Veritas opposite hospital

North Bar's bit poncey IMO but Sella next door's alright.

Oh and I'd also say check out Cottage Road Cinema (Far Headingley), not far from Meanwood.

It's a tiny old fashioned cinema. Last time I went in there they had an "interval"!

Check out a few of the dirty pubs with bands playing in upstairs rooms on Woodhouse Lane opposite/near University (Fenton/Eldon/Packhorse) if you like that sort of thing.
Wiley Coyote2 25 Sep 2013

Give thanks daily that you are not in Bradford
 Tom Valentine 25 Sep 2013

Rhinos.
meehaja 25 Sep 2013
Bradford for good cheap curry (and the chance to really appreciate how good it is not to be from there). Mountain biking is good around Leeds, plenty of good evening woodland blasts etc, bike polo is on/off/on, Leeds wall, the Depot, plenty to do!
 Dauphin 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

+1

Excellent off road running potential around North Leeds - Meanwood Valley, Adle, Eccup & Harewood House. 7even Arts is in Chapel Allerton so not all bad. Mustard Pot is full of expensive clunge.

Justin Martin playing Basics this friday.

Might just be enough to make me move back oop north again.

D
Removed User 25 Sep 2013
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose: Good shout on the Victoria and Commercial. The Wrens was a good shout like the Templar once, but it's lost some charm since the refurb... I'll throw in The Reliance as well.
 Dax H 25 Sep 2013
http://www.royalarmouries.org/what-we-do/clubs-and-societies/historical-mar...

The European historical weapons guild, meets twice a week at the armouries and you learn how to wield various medieval weapons.

Or search facebook for the uk knife and tomahawk throwing association
they meet every other sunday in pontefract (just outside of leeds)
 earlsdonwhu 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Dax H: Christ! I didn't know Pontefract was that rough>
 Baron Weasel 25 Sep 2013
> (In reply to PebblePusher)
>
> Get pissed in the Adelphi
> Get pissed in Whitelocks
> Get pissed in the Angel
> Get pissed in North Bar
> Get pissed in Milo
> Get pissed in Sandinista
> Get pissed in Mojo
>
> Don't get pissed on Call Lane
> Don't get pissed in Headingley
> Don't get pissed in Chapel Allerton (although Further North is worth a look)
>
> Leeds wall used to be full of cliquey w@nkers and run by nobheads. That was several years ago though, it may have changed.

+1

Would add: Throw shapes at Henry Price, get pissed at The Packhorse (climbers pub since at least the 60's and you can get 2 pints and change for a fiver).
 NorthernGrit 25 Sep 2013

All the pubs mentioned and not one shout for The Grove. Shame on you all.

To be fair, it might not be London but it's a city, so whatever you're into there will be something going on.

Playhouse, City varieties, Grand theatre, Markets, shops, pubs clubs, gigs, parks, museums, football, rugby, climbing, mountain biking, steam trains, Yorkshire Dales.......

Or just join Leeds service crew if you want to make new friends....
 Trevers 25 Sep 2013
>
>
> Get pissed in the Angel

This used to be my student hangout. I still go along for a few when I visit Leeds. It's always a pleasant shock to buy a round of pints for the same price as one pint in London
 Sam_in_Leeds 25 Sep 2013

Angels still cheap but gone VERY much downhill recently.

No longer a pleasant dive but an absolute literally stinking dive now

Sad times
 red.stiletto 25 Sep 2013
Leeds international film festival from 6th November.
Truly awesome.
See you there
 John_Hat 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> Leeds wall used to be full of cliquey w@nkers and run by nobheads. That was several years ago though, it may have changed.

> +1

+2 (unfortunately). It used to be brilliant with great staff, but then went into a bit of a dark ages all of its own. Don't know if it has emerged the other side yet.
 Baron Weasel 25 Sep 2013
In reply to John_Hat: I remember when the lights failed at The Leeds Wall hearing someone, in the voice of Niall Grimes saying something along the lines of 'Not everyone has been benighted at The Leeds Wall'.
 Tony the Blade 25 Sep 2013
In reply to NorthernGrit:

>
> Or just join Leeds service crew if you want to make new friends....

hahahaha - they never even had a crew back in the day! We were more fearful of the Donny Whites than any 'proper' L**ds boys... Leeds Service Crew indeed. This belongs in the Thursday Joke thread.
 Jon Stewart 25 Sep 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to Baron Weasel)
>
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> +2 (unfortunately). It used to be brilliant with great staff, but then went into a bit of a dark ages all of its own. Don't know if it has emerged the other side yet.

I went regularly last winter and thought it was a great wall. Staff were pretty friendly, good routes and problems, good atmosphere. Music not so great but hey, it's hard to please folk on that front (off-topic, I think a wide variety of stuff that's not totally inappropriate is the way forward here).
 Sam_in_Leeds 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Oi Blade, you been reading the tables upside down recently!?

Good to see the C*nts, sorry I mean Blunts back where they belong battling it out with the mighty Stevenage/Crewe Alexandria/Gillingham/Crawley etc.
 NorthernGrit 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

It was a joke about directing someone new to the area to associate with complete scumbags, but thanks for your observation. I'm sure everyone from Sheffield is double hard and you are massively well endowed.
Rosco P Coltrane 27 Sep 2013

There's two things to in Leeds.

One: go the climbing wall.
Two: drive to Manchester and live there instead.
 Siward 27 Sep 2013
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose: The Duck and Drake! Used to enjoy going there in the late 80s. Great pub.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...