UKC

climbing holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jimtheape 05 Sep 2003
my scout group r going to buid a climing wall. basicaly there isnt enough money for loads of sets of top of the range holz cos it is a big room, we will have hols at first but mainly bits of wood and bricks chipped out, the wall is covered in features and crcks so is prolly able to be climbed as it is, but i was wondering where would be a good place to get hold of some holds(oops, excuse pun) cheap or even better free (although i dont think this is gonna happen) and where i could get mats or mattreses.
ian h 06 Sep 2003
In reply to jimtheape:
sometimes holds go cheap on ebay
OP Bolt-On 07 Sep 2003
In reply to jimtheape:

Ask at your local wall if they have any old holds that they dont like using anymore. Some walls sell them off very cheap.
Tim Wager 07 Sep 2003
In reply to jimtheape:Hi Jim, I come up to scotland quite a lot delivering my holds and could do you a deal on some cheap bolt -ons,(seconds etc).Contact me to talk about how many you want.
Cheers Tim Wager
Wagerholds
OP Anonymous 07 Sep 2003
In reply to jimtheape: wow im glad i never went to ur scout group sounds like a right dump
jimtheape 07 Sep 2003
In reply to Anonymous: err. try we r jakes
OP Anonymous 07 Sep 2003
In reply to jimtheape: jakie
 Rob Naylor 08 Sep 2003
In reply to jimtheape:

I don't want to piss on your parade, but I hope this installation is being planned properly. I'm in despair at the amount of intrusion of HSE into all walks of life these days, but the fact is that if this wall is being built for formal use by an organised group (scouts) rather than just for you and some mates to play on, there'll be all kinds of health, safety and insurance hoops to jump through.

I presume your group leader's been through all the requirements and has discussed it with the Scouts' insurers, etc? As I said, HSE is over-intrusive these days, but the reality is that as a scout group, I doubt very much that you'll just be able to bang a few holds onto a wall yourselves,and start climbing.
Ian Dunn 08 Sep 2003
In reply to Rob Naylor: Anyone building a wall would be very unwise not to have an engineer look at the designs for the wall and check out the structure to see if it complies with BSEN 12572 the European standard for Artificial Climbing Structures.

Any accident which results in a claim would almost certainly ask to what standard was the wall built. You will be hard pushed to get insurance if you haven't got a technical study backing up your design.
 Rob Naylor 08 Sep 2003
In reply to Ian Dunn:

Thanks for that. I was sure there was an engineering standard to be met, too, but had no idea what it was.

Hopefully, the scout group is fully aware of all this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...