UKC

Hobbit Trailer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bulls Crack 01 Oct 2013
In reply to deepstar:

Where did all that stuff come from...lady elves?
 coinneach 01 Oct 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

That would be Galadriel the ladiest of all elves!
 Bulls Crack 01 Oct 2013
In reply to coinneach:

very true,,,sigh But the dark haired one - who's that?
 angry pirate 01 Oct 2013
I thought the first one was overblown, padded nonsense. I won't make the mistake of wasting more hours of my life on this.
Tim Chappell 01 Oct 2013
In reply to angry pirate:

Quite so. That whirring noise in the background is either a) JRRT turning in his grave or b) Peter Jackson's profit-counter going into overdrive. Possibly both.

I watched the first instalment of blithering, toe-curlingly-overdone lunacy that called itself The Hobbit on a plane to Australia. Deliberately, because those are hours of my life that I don't want back anyway

I suppose it was quite fun, in an I-can't-think-of-anything-else-I-might-be-doing-right-now-that-would-irritate-me-any-less kind of way.
 Rubbishy 01 Oct 2013
In reply to deepstar:

Sort of GTA V, with beards.

Brown haired lady elves are good however....
 Skyfall 02 Oct 2013
I really enjoyed the first one and this looks good. Yes, a bit overblown and weak in places but, overall, i liked. Don't forget, it's deliberately directed at children whereas LOR is more adult. God, there are so much worse things to spend a few hours doing around the lunacy of Xmas.
 Rubbishy 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Agreed.

Plus, Peter Jackson according to the UN centre for economics has added 34.76% to the entire global dwarf population GDP.
 Skyfall 02 Oct 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

Lol - stout chap
 Philip 02 Oct 2013
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
>
> Agreed.
>
> Plus, Peter Jackson according to the UN centre for economics has added 34.76% to the entire global dwarf population GDP.

I think you'll find that figure is disputed as they included house-elves from Harry Potter in the calculation.
 ti_pin_man 02 Oct 2013
the first episode of the hobbit trilogy was a bit lame compared to the LOTR's but as others have said my daughter loved it, we had decided to read the book together knowing it was a film coming out and she enjoyed it. We've now finished the book and I'm looking forward to seeing the others. Last week she asked if we could read the lord of the rings books.
 Dave Garnett 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to deepstar)
>
> Where did all that stuff come from...lady elves?

There's no problem with lady elves, some of the key characters in LOTR are lady elves.

Lady dwarves however...
 John Ww 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Indeed, that Lady Arwen Undomiel is definitely not untidy - I think it's the ears that do it!

I can't actually think of a lady dwarf ever being mentioned in either The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, apart from possibly an indication of there being a paucity of them.
 Bulls Crack 02 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> [...]
>
> There's no problem with lady elves, some of the key characters in LOTR are lady elves.
>
> Lady dwarves however...

Id like to point out that I don't have a problem with lady elves per se - I'm no faery misogynist - but she wasn't in the book - but hen again so are loads of other characters in this
 SteveoS 02 Oct 2013
In reply to deepstar:

Why are you complaining about lady elves? That massive white orc isn't in the book either.
Radagast (Stoner wizard) was only mentioned in the book!
In reply to SteveoS:
> (In reply to deepstar)
>
> Why are you complaining about lady elves? That massive white orc isn't in the book either.
> Radagast (Stoner wizard) was only mentioned in the book!

Azog is in the Hobbit but only mentioned in passing by Gandalf.
 Dave Garnett 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Dave Garnett)
> [...]
>
> Id like to point out that I don't have a problem with lady elves per se - I'm no faery misogynist - but she wasn't in the book - but hen again so are loads of other characters in this

But hasn't a lot of the extra material been taken from the Silmarillion? It's been a while since I read it, mind.
Frogger 02 Oct 2013
> But hasn't a lot of the extra material been taken from the Silmarillion? It's been a while since I read it, mind.

Hmm not sure. I seem to recall reading somewhere that they don't have the rights to include anything in the Silmarillion, but it's a vague memory!

RockSteady 02 Oct 2013
In reply to deepstar:

A lot of stuff is taken from the notes/Appendices to Lord of the Rings. And expanded upon. Nothing from the Silmarillion if I recall rightly.
 Durbs 02 Oct 2013
In reply to RockSteady:

I'm just re-reading LOTR (after at least 20 years) - Female dwarves are aluded too much in the same way as they are in Discworld. They all pretty much look the same, beards and all.

It's the female Ents who have gone walkabouts.
Clauso 02 Oct 2013
In reply to deepstar:

I reckon that Bilbo will eventually kill Smaug.
 John Ww 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Durbs:

Indeed - Treebeard rues the loss of the Entwives.
 John Ww 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Clauso:

And that Thorin Oakenshield had better keep his wits about him!
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to deepstar)
>
> I reckon that Bilbo will eventually kill Smaug.

I hear the x-rated version will have Bilbo playing with Saurons ring!
 maxsmith 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: if I remember correctly there is not a single living female character in the hobbit (book).

Still, sexy elves sell in Hollywood!
 Bulls Crack 04 Oct 2013
In reply to maxsmith:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack) if I remember correctly there is not a single living female character in the hobbit (book).
>
> Still, sexy elves sell in Hollywood!

They sell here too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...