UKC

New Langdale Guide Cover Photo - Which Route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thomaspomfrett 03 Oct 2013
I'm sure this is an easy question and I'll get abuse from someone for not knowing, but was chatting to a couple of friends and none of us could identify the route on the front cover of the new Langdale guide.

http://www.frcc.co.uk/guidebook.asp?guide_id=7

Can some more knowledgeable person inform me?

Cheers!

Tom
In reply to thomaspomfrett:

Fastburn at Flat Crags I think
In reply to willexodus: That looks about right judging by the photos on here, not a crag I've climbed at so feel less ashamed. Cheers Will!
 1poundSOCKS 03 Oct 2013
In reply to thomaspomfrett: Sounds like it's going to be out just in time for winter...sorry, I mean Christmas.
 Mark Eddy 03 Oct 2013
In reply to thomaspomfrett: ...or it could be 'Flat iron wall'!
 Simon Caldwell 03 Oct 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
It's already available from the FRCC, and will be in the shops this weekend.
 Tyler 03 Oct 2013
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

I think you are correct
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Oops, yes I think you're right.
 1poundSOCKS 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Toreador: Brilliant, I'll be reading it in preparation for next summer, I presume it'll be as good as this year was.
 Ron Kenyon 07 Oct 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

It is "Flat Iron Wall" - sorry about delay but feel it is worth the wait.

Aigen 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Kenyon: What grade as I can not find it in the UKC log book.
In reply to Aigen:
> (In reply to Ron Kenyon) What grade as I can not find it in the UKC log book.

Really? First hit when you type in "flat iron wall" - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=4089

It's E1 BTW, just so you don't have to follow the link.

ALC
 Steve Clegg 07 Oct 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
"It's E1 BTW, just so you don't have to follow the link"
Guffaw!!
Steve
 Skyfall 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Toreador:

> It's already available from the FRCC, and will be in the shops this weekend.

Yes, but totally crap timing. Might as well have published it next spring really.
 Simon Caldwell 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Why? Climbing carries on through the winter doesn't it, with occasional pauses when winter conditions come along.
 Skyfall 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Toreador:

Yes, but unless you are being a UKC argumentative so and so (I really ought to delete my account finally) Langdale is not somewhere I would head in the winter (unless for winter climbing). Apart from some very specific crags, there isn't going to be that too much in condition to attract the visiting climber in winter.
 Simon Caldwell 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
Maybe not. But Gimmer was OK last weekend, and looks like it could be next weekend. So not as bad as if the guide was released at the end of December
 Dave Ferguson 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
I disagree, many crags face south and are climbable on in the winter months given a sunny day and little wind, I've climbed on White Ghyll in November, Black Crag in December, Gimmer in January, Pavey Ark in February and Raven Crag all year round. Good forecast this weekend, perfect to use the new book.
 Skyfall 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

You're just being the typical argumentative UKC poster. Gimmer extremely windly and often freezing. Pavey very high,. Black Crag very high and exoposed.

Yes, I know the good crags, I've lived in the Lakes, yet now living elsewhere it clearly isn't top of the list to visit in the winter. I appreciate the tail end of Autumn is different (ie now) but this is rather the wrong end of the main Lakes rock climbing season.

Oh, it doesn't really matter; throw away comment. But it would have been nice if it were published a few months ago! Or next Spring after some more thought about grading issues...
 John Kelly 07 Oct 2013

Climbed on Gimmer last Feb - Kipling Groove - bit of ice in the cracks at the end of the undercling and chilly on the fingers on crux pitch
 Dave Ferguson 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
Part of me is being deliberately argumentative but you shouldn't use these throw away comments without expecting them to be challenged. There are a lot of inexperienced climbers on here who may use the forums for ideas about where to climb and what to do, just because you wouldn't rock climb in Langdale in winter doesn't mean that its not possible and indeed given the right weather conditions, very enjoyable.

I'm glad its out now and not next spring, I'll be using it throughout the year.
 Bulls Crack 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to Toreador)
>
> Yes, but unless you are being a UKC argumentative so and so (I really ought to delete my account finally) Langdale is not somewhere I would head in the winter (unless for winter climbing). Apart from some very specific crags, there isn't going to be that too much in condition to attract the visiting climber in winter.

One of the unspoken rules of UKC is that, 'whatever the weather, someone will say: "It was t-shirts on crag x,y,z on Sunday..."
 Skyfall 07 Oct 2013

They are challenged by the vocal minority. You shoud bear that in mind. Much as I wouldn't want to put people off (I climb all year), Langdale is one of the last places I would head unless quite local. So, yes, I think the publication timing is a shame.

Whilst I agree I wouldn't want to put people off, an ounce of sense has to take over at times. Ice on Kipling Groove; I think not, thanks.
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to Toreador)
>
> [...]
>
> Yes, but totally crap timing. Might as well have published it next spring really.

that would be too late to be my christmas present though...
 shantaram 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Skyfall: I don't know about you, but I love reading rock climbing guidebooks during the dark winter months when mountain rock climbing is out, making plans for when the crags dry out and getting inspiration. A new guidebook also fuels good on line and pub discussions about grade changes etc. There's never a bad time for a new guidebook to come out. Good effort to all the folk at FRCC who have put in all the hard work on the new guides that are coming out.

BTW - I led Flat Iron Wall a few years back and found it very heart in mouth. Great climbing, but you wouldn't want to slip on the upper wall.
In reply to Skyfall:
> So, yes, I think the publication timing is a shame.
>

Whatever your thoughts about climbing in Langdale in the winter are (I noticed when I was ticking my new guide the other day that most of my climbing in the area has been over the winter), why does that affect when they should publish the guidebook? If people want to climb there, they'll buy the guide and to, irrespective of when the actual month of publication was. I don't see what benefit the FRCC would get from sitting on the guide until the spring - care to enlighten me?
In reply to Skyfall:

From the book-sellers perspective this is perfect timing for the run up to Christmas.
 abcdefg 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

> Yes, but totally crap timing. Might as well have published it next spring really.

Guess what: it was published as soon as it was finished. Does everybody 'wish' it might have been ready by the Summer just gone? Yes. But these things take time.

It looks like a great guidebook (my copy has just arrived today), and I publicly thank the FRCC team for the effort they've made here.
 Ron Kenyon 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

We have other guides to get on with as well - Scafell and Wasdale by 20th April 2014 (centenary of FA of CB); Dow, Coppermines & Slate and Duddon & Eskdale - and others - so when one is finished out it come.

- given a fine sunny day there are still autumn and winter climbing days in Langdale.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...