UKC

Glasgow Snow Factor Partners Board

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 barbeg 04 Oct 2013
Hi All,
There were quite a few ice climbers down last night and we talked about setting up a partners board/thread on UKC so it was easier for people to know who had done inductions etc and therefore make it easier to find partners. Hence this thread.....
Feel free to post contact details, when you're going, if your looking for a partner, need a buddy for induction, make arrangements etc.....
ANdy
 zebidee 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

Good meeting you last night Andy - my mate Gerry that was there last night isn't on here but me and nibs are regular climbers with him so will keep him in the loop about Thursday evenings.

I'll likely be maybe once a month through to the Snow Factor as I work through in Livingston ... might make it a regular 1st Thursday of the month.

Dave.
OP barbeg 04 Oct 2013
In reply to zebidee:

Hi Dave,
Just give me a shout when you're looking for a partner....
ANdy
 Milesy 04 Oct 2013
I'll be planning on going twice a week.
OP barbeg 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:

(did you get my text Chris?)
ANdy
 Milesy 04 Oct 2013

Just the "nae worries" one?
OP barbeg 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:

No, next one.....will send again.
A
OP barbeg 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:
YHM Chris
 Steve Perry 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: What range of grades are the routes? Cheers.
OP barbeg 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

Hi Steve,

Some slabs of 60-70 deg, some walls of 70-80 deg, some arêtes, corners and walls of 90 deg, a 90 deg chimney/gully, two larger vertical walls, some overhanging drytooling upto 120 deg....so a real mix from grade III to V ice and some M5 ish mixed.....

ANdy
 Milesy 05 Oct 2013
Anyone about tomorrow?
 Steve Perry 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: Cheers Andrew.
 coachmacca 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: Great idea Andy! I'm about virtually every Thursday night after 6.30 - anyone who want to feel free to mail me if needing a partner. Andy as always you just need to text me and ill jump down short notice.
 Bob1984 07 Oct 2013

Great idea!

I'm up for getting involved and would be keen to try and climb once a week. Still to get the induction done however. Is anyone else in the same boat? I could do either the last weekend of October, the 31st October or 1st November. Other dates thereafter would also be possible.

Cheers,

Bob

Milesy 07 Oct 2013

I was down on Sunday again. They're gona need to sort the ice. It's a riot just now. He says he's been so busy having to take inductions he hasn't had time to maintain it as he wants.
 KlaasW 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy: Yeah, ice was a bit messy this past Sunday. Is there a good day to go to find climbing partners? I can't find anybody to climb with. Chris, the induction guy, mentioned Wednesdays and Thursdays but are there actually a lot of people there on these days?
OP barbeg 09 Oct 2013
In reply to KlaasW:

Hiya,
Thursdays is probably the best day I would guess...there we lots of people down last Thursday and I think there will be quite a few down tomorrow as well. Yes, the ice does need some work doing to it.
ANdy
OP barbeg 09 Oct 2013

So who's going to the wall tomorrow night?
ANdy
 KlaasW 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: I'm certainly thinking of going
OP barbeg 10 Oct 2013
In reply to KlaasW:

who's heading tonight?
ANdy
 coachmacca 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: Hey folks I want to head down T ue or wed next week as the wife is away so will be needing/offering partnership is anyone fancies it? Either day is fine for me (or both) - Andy just text if you are up for it
 paulmck 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: Hi, looking for a partner this week either tomorrow or thursday. Can only make 7.00pm till closing time though as I'm coming from Edinburgh after work and travelling by public transport. Anyone around either of those evenings and looking for a partner?

cheers, Paul
 KlaasW 15 Oct 2013
In reply to paulmck: Hi Paul, I'd be happy to go tomorrow or Thursday but slightly prefer the latter. I'm also looking for somebody to ice climb with. K
 paulmck 15 Oct 2013
In reply to KlaasW: Thats great, Thursday would be better for me as well. I'll drop you a separate note with my contact details in.

cheers, Paul
 coachmacca 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: Anyone heading down tonight or tomorrow?
 coachmacca 16 Oct 2013
In reply to coachmacca: I'm down tomorrow But only 50:50 that my partner will make it anyone want to come down , at worst be part of a 3 - mail me
OP barbeg 17 Oct 2013
In reply to coachmacca:

Anybody heading down the wall tonight?
ANdy
 paulmck 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: I'll be there from about 6.20 onwards. Might be free at the start as I did originally say I was going to be there at 7.00 but work sucks so have decided to get an earlier train.
OP barbeg 17 Oct 2013
In reply to paulmck:

..coachmacca is also looking for a partner tonight....
ANdy
 coachmacca 17 Oct 2013
In reply to paulmck: Paul I'll be down - can head around 6.30 - stuck for a partner too if you're about?
 paulmck 17 Oct 2013
In reply to coachmacca: i'm meeting up with Klaas (from earlier in this thread) but i'm sure we may be able to sort something out if needed.
Cheers, Paul.
 coachmacca 18 Oct 2013
In reply to paulmck: Hey Paul sorry - I didn't make it as i wasn't too sure and didn't just want to turn up Thanks for the offer though - appreciate it.

The other half is travelling less now so my I should be ok for a partner most times now - no doubt see you down there at some point - certainly if you even need a partner just shout - id go every night if I could!

paulmck 18 Oct 2013
In reply to coachmacca: That's ok. There were about 3 teams down there last night including us. I think there was also an induction class and that had about 6 people in it so it's going to get busy. I'll probably be down every few weeks so will post back here nearer the time.
 coachmacca 19 Oct 2013
just to let people know me and the other half (regular climbers) are heading down tomorrow - probably about 11.30 to 2 ish if anyone needs a partner - happy to have a 3rd join.
 Milesy 19 Oct 2013
I have been a few Sundays recently but off to nab some munros and keep the hill fitness up. If the ice is anything like it was on Wednesday it was a diabolic condition. All just hooks and steps everywhere. I was hard to not use the hooks because it was so thin in place it was axes bouncing off plastic and metal rebar.
 Joak 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> I have been a few Sundays recently but off to nab some munros and keep the hill fitness up. If the ice is anything like it was on Wednesday it was a diabolic condition

...sounds familiar.... marginal pish poor thaw conditions...Ahm goin fur a walk anaw!!
OP barbeg 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Hi Chris,

A lot of work has now been done on the ice and it is in much better condition...
ANdy
 Fiona Reid 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:

We were there yesterday morning and didn't think the ice was bad at all... I only found the concrete once and left with suitably boxed arms and a rumbling stomach as we'd been there almost 4 hours...

We'll definitely be back, it's a bit of a trek from Edinburgh but well worth it.

JohnnyW 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Yes, I had my first session yesterday, so am now able to meet up with anyone short of a partner.
Had a good blether with Chris the manager fella, as he was my belayer, and he's aware the ice needs work.
For my part, it was hooktastic, but that meant I was able to climb all the lines with relative ease, so had a really enjoyable 90 minutes.
Like Fiona, I intend making my next visit much longer, to work some of the muscles I have been ignoring during the summer
Will there be folks there Thursday again next week?
 radioshed 21 Oct 2013
Is the ice wall open till 11pm on saturdays thinking of heading over in a couple of weeks?

Cheers

Matt
OP barbeg 22 Oct 2013
In reply to radioshed:

Yes.
ANdy
 JohnnyW 22 Oct 2013

Anyone fancy climbing on Thursday? I can make it for around 6.30-7pm.

Cheers
OP barbeg 22 Oct 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Hi Johnny,
More & more people using the ice wall now...and Thursday seems to be a night when plenty of folk turn up looking for partners....should be safe turning up, sure you'll find someone to climb with !
ANdy
 paulmck 22 Oct 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: I'll be there and will need a partner. Should arrive at about 18.30 if the buses run on time and will need to leave at 22.00.
cheers, Paul
 JohnnyW 22 Oct 2013
In reply to paulmck:
Good stuff. Will be there then. Cheers
Kev Shields 22 Oct 2013
Hi Folks, Not wanting to hijack your thread just a wee heads up. We're arranging an ice climbing/DT comp up here at the Ice Factor on 2nd of November and it'd be cool to have some of you folks there if possible!!

Cheers

Kev
OP barbeg 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Kev Shields:

Hi Kev,
Hope you're well - last time I saw you I think we were both at the Quadrocks, you doing a new E3 and me doing a new E1...
Yes, would be good for as many folk as poss to get up to the Ice Factor...!
ANdy
 eltankos 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Kev Shields:
You guys hiring out gear on the Saturday, I might be around the area then but I'm a bit noobish, but it sounds fun.
 coachmacca 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: Folks I'm looking for a partner/offering to partner on Wed this week coming if anyone fancies it? I'm not the fastest but I'm a good belayer at least lol .
Happy to belay / partner any skill level.

Typically I'd be going down around 6.30/7pm
 paulmck 27 Oct 2013
In reply to coachmacca: I can do Wednesday if you want. Should get there around 6.45 and will have to leave at 10.00 though.
cheers, Paul.
Kev Shields 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: Hi Andrew, Aye that was a while back eh, still my favourite wee crag. I'm good thanks, just getting ready for this comp. Hope alls well with you too.

Aye gear is available to hire from us on the comp day, hopefully see ye then....

Cheers

Kev
 CMcBain 28 Oct 2013
In reply to all:

I'll be down in Glasgow this weekend and wondered if anyone fancied a session on Friday night? I will hopefully be down in Glasgow just after 6pm and would be happy to stay as long as possible! (I couldn't find the opening hours on the website but i'm guessing it closes at 10pm?).

Also is the info on the website up to date (I know its changed a few times) eg, if i'm a competent winter climber I can just pay £18 for the session and day registration?

Cheers
 JohnnyW 28 Oct 2013

Paul and Macca, I would be up for Weds too if you fancy making a 3, unless anyone else is about?
 coachmacca 28 Oct 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: Great folks - Wednesday 6.30 I'll be there whenever you want to come down - as always you can spot me with my bright orange helmet and crap technique :-p (well improving since Andy's coaching !)
 coachmacca 28 Oct 2013
In reply to paulmck: Paul just saw this! 6.45 is perfect - 07989191684 if you want to get me beforehand etc (Alan)
 JohnnyW 29 Oct 2013

I will be there around 6.45 traffic permitting. Paul, would you like a lift again?

Cheers guys
 paulmck 29 Oct 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: Thanks for the offer John - much appreciated. I have dropped you a mail.
Cheers, Paul
 coachmacca 31 Oct 2013
In reply to paulmck: Folks was down last night and was great to see how busy it was again. Lots of different levels of skills and still some new inductees so its certainly a healthy community.

While yes there is some wear on the ice its still completely climbable and if anything more interesting and at times challenging while at the same time ok for newbies as there are plenty hooks and steps.

Thanks again to Paul and John for partnering and especially to John for his great coaching - or as he put it "tips to stop you killing me"
 CMcBain 31 Oct 2013
In reply to coachmacca:

Had a slight change of plan and now keen to have a session on Sunday if anyone is free? Flexible on time, afternoon at some point would be great. Give me a text on O7772859737 or post here!

Cheers

Cal
 Jon Wylie 31 Oct 2013
In reply to CMcBain:

Hi cal,

I may be up for Sunday but it'd have to be a last minute thing to let you know I'm afraid. My wife is due to give birth on Monday so it could be anytime now really. If you get a better offer, please take it. I'd probably prefer to go as a three so your not left partnerless at the last minute!

Jon
OP barbeg 31 Oct 2013

FYI Folks,

Ice making/packing taking place on the wall tonight.....

Plenty of space left for climbing though!

ANdy
 JohnnyW 01 Nov 2013
In reply to coachmacca:
> (>
> Thanks again to Paul and John for partnering and especially to John for his great coaching - or as he put it "tips to stop you killing me"

Heh, more than welcome mate!

Maybe next week? Will post again..........
 CMcBain 02 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie:

Hi Jon, havnt had any other offers yet, give me a text if you still find yourself free! Anyone else free for a session tomorrow at some point?

Cheers
 Jon Wylie 02 Nov 2013
In reply to CMcBain:

Cal,

I'll give you a text tomorrow if I can go. Sorry, it has to be a bit last minute. I went along today for a couple of hours, great fun and we were the only people on.

Cheers

Jon
 coachmacca 02 Nov 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: hey Jonny yeah just text me 07989191684 if you want a partner anytime buddy
 baileyswalk 02 Nov 2013

Scottish Hillwalkers meetup group is holding a regular climbing night on a Tuesday at the SnowFactor if anyone is interetsed (or wants to avoid!):

http://www.meetup.com/scottish-hillwalkers/events/148682362/

coachmacca 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: folks anyone down tomorrow or possibly thursday? needing a partner 07989191684 (Alan) if you're in
 Jon Wylie 12 Nov 2013

Hey folks,

im looking for a partner this afternoon or tonight. Anyone game?

Thanks

Jon
OP barbeg 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie:

Hi Jon,

I can do 12 noon 'till 2.30pm today if you're interested...

ANdy
 Jon Wylie 12 Nov 2013

Hi andy,

Sorry just in from a walk with dog and new baby and caught your message. If you can stay later or head later please let me know.

I think i had your number but ive lost it-heads up my erse!

Jon

OP barbeg 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie:
Jon,
07801-852798
 eltankos 19 Nov 2013
Congrats Withnail.
Any of you guys heading down on Thursday?
legali 20 Nov 2013
Hello all, I'm quite new to the site and to climbing, although had been going fairly regularly to Ibrox a couple of years ago before work got in the way. I've previously done two ice climbing taster sessions in Kinlochleven (again around 2 years ago), but I'm keen to get my induction at the Snow Factor and was wondering whether anyone else is needing to do this or would be interested in buddy-ing for a night? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alistair
 osheye 20 Nov 2013
In reply to legali: hi , will be available fri 22nd till mon , only mobile contact from thurs 12noon , o.
OP barbeg 28 Nov 2013
Anyone interested in heading to the ice wall today - anytime from 10am onwards ?
ANdy

OP barbeg 28 Nov 2013

No takers?
ANdy
 eltankos 28 Nov 2013
I'll probably be down this evening, but that probably doesn't help you right now. Sorry.
 CMcBain 05 Dec 2013
In reply to all:

Getting my car fixed in Glasgow tomorrow, would anyone be free for a seshion in the afternoon (friday)?

You can get me on OTrebleSeven2859Seven37 or reply here

Cheers

OP barbeg 09 Dec 2013

Anyone up for a session on the Ice Wall tomorrow during the day tomorrow/Tuesday?

ANdy
 zebidee 09 Dec 2013

Can't make it during the day sorry.

What's the ice like at the moment? Might try and make it along on Thursday evening.
OP barbeg 09 Dec 2013
In reply to zebidee:

Hiya,
The ice has had A LOT of work done to it and is in pretty good nick.
ANdy
OP barbeg 09 Dec 2013

A lot more packing done on the ice wall tonight....

Any takers for ice climbing tomorrow during the day ?

ANdy
OP barbeg 11 Dec 2013

Anyone up for the ice wall tomorrow night?

ANdy
OP barbeg 11 Dec 2013

No takers?

Andy
 paulmck 12 Dec 2013

Sorry Andy but not free until after Christmas now.
 coachmacca 12 Dec 2013

Andy I'm up for it if you're still looking?
 coachmacca 17 Dec 2013

Looking for a partner either Wednesday (18th) or Thursday(19th) this week if anyone is around give me a shout

Would be around 6.45 onwards due to work
 gavmac 17 Dec 2013
In reply to coachmacca:

I'm down in Glasgow for a few days (today till Friday) would be keen to get on some ice. Completely flexible with times. Let me know.
 Gazlynn 19 Dec 2013

I'm looking for a partner 23rd Monday morning from 10 till about 1pm

If anyone is about?

cheers

Gaz
 coachmacca 23 Dec 2013
In reply to gavmac:
Sorry bud just saw this and Gazlynn's - cant make it now but shout (PM me) again if looking for a partner - Have a good one
Post edited at 10:01
 CMcBain 23 Dec 2013
In reply to coachmacca:

Hi sorry for short notice but is anyone free today, I can do anytime from now but have to be away at 6:30. Post here or fire me a text on OSeven772Eight597Three7.
 CMcBain 23 Dec 2013
In reply to coachmacca:

Bump, anyone free?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...