UKC

Hoka Highland Fling. Anyone getting excited?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Run_Ross_Run 05 Oct 2013
Sign-up starts tomorrow. Anyone else giving it a go?

Unfinished business for me :/
 cham4807 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:
Yea I'm entering it again this year. I also have unfinished business as I got injured 20k into it last year and couldn't run properly (A pinched nerve in my back causing really bad referred pain in my right foot)
But I struggled on until the Beinglas checkpoint at 40.9 miles but missed the 5:30 pm cutoff time by about 20 mins!!!
I was pretty disappointed but at that stage I had was ready to stop as I was in constant pain.
Myself and another DNF got a lift to Tyndrum where I picked up my big North Face bag with all of my camping gear, set up my tent in the last minutes of daylight and spent the next 2 days in my tent in the pissing rain hardly able to walk.....ah goodtimes!!!
So I am really looking forward to the next outing!!
I presume you were a DNF also?
OP Run_Ross_Run 06 Oct 2013
In reply to cham4807:
Yep. Like you. Entered it last year. Its a brilliant run/race.
Finished it but massively underestimated how hard it was and did nowhere near enough training in prep.
Lost the plot just after the last feed station and by the time I hit cowpat alley I was wanting to smash my own face in (so to speak).
Came in 11hrs 20 mins.
Last 10 k took me about 2hrs.
It was my 1st ultra and only my 2nd ever event (other was a mountain marathon).
Massive learning curve so this year they'll be more training with the emphasis on time on feet. Gonna do consecutive days in prep. 2x20k, 2x30k, 2x40k etc.
Target it sub 10hrs this time.
 StefanB 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

I also dropped Beinglas last year due to injury. One of only two DNFs in many ultras, so I will try to sign up again later today to give it another go. Means flying in from Spain for me, but the I think the event is worth it. Excellent organisation and the course is beautiful.
 StefanB 06 Oct 2013
Bloody hell, almost 300 places gone in half an hour. Anyone who is still doubtful, better make up their mind fast.
OP Run_Ross_Run 06 Oct 2013
In reply to StefanB:

I'm in.
 Banned User 77 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run: I'd just bang your miles up.. regular 20-25 milers.. 2-2:30.. then hill walking.. I love the Fling because it is basically 20 miles of very fast running.. then it gets tough.. so you get f*cked.. then it f*cks you.. to put it bluntly..

A horribly punishing race..

cham4807 07 Oct 2013
I have entered again!!! Myself and at least 6 other guys that I know are travelling over from Ireland to run in the Fling. It started out with just me entering and it has now snowballed into everyman and his dog entering from a group that I trail run with!! I suppose thats what I get for raving on about what a great race the Fling is and everyone should do it blah blah blah.....
Luckily I booked accommodation for 4 of us this morning in the Premier Inn in Bearsden

Well done and at least you finished!! Aiming to break the 10 hour mark...very brave..

I am hoping to break the 15 hour mark
My main goal between now and then is to slowly build up the distance and stay injury free.In reply to Run_Ross_Run:
 cham4807 07 Oct 2013
In reply to StefanB:
Go on and enter.....you know you want to.....you'll be sorry if you don't
 StefanB 07 Oct 2013
In reply to cham4807:

I entered at around 21:01 last night
 hydraulicwave 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run: I've signed up
 steelbru 25 Oct 2013
In reply to hydraulicwave:
It's full up now, 850 places taken !!

That's a lot of people, even allowing for say 100 dropouts before the start, it's going to be really busy for the first few miles. Then another load ( is it 50 or 100 ? ) relay runners start an hour later and will soon be flying past the slower back markers.

Pity anyone who's out for a nice quiet walk on the WHW that day !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...