UKC

How big is your photo backlog?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 07 Oct 2013
I seem to be a lot keener on taking photos than I am at editing, tweaking and uploading them.

After forcing myself to spend a few evenings at the computer I have finally managed to get to the point where I am at least working through shots taken in 2013! 3 weeks ago I was still hovering around July 2012 and using the lack of uploaded honeymoon shots as an excuse not to do anything newer.

Is anyone else this rubbish, or is it just me?
 George Fisher 07 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

2 expired rolls in the freezer, 3 cameras with part shot rolls in them, but one of those is Fuji instant so no backlog with that one.

I normally wait for about 6-8 finished rolls before processing.
 taine 07 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Snap!

Honeymoon photos also seem to mark the block for me maybe its getting married that does it?

I got around to doing a few but the backlog really goes back much further. all those poor photos just languishing on a hard drive.
 HeMa 07 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Depends on if I have shot JPG, RAW+JPG or RAW...

I tend to quickfix jpegs rather quickly, but still after longer trips I do fall behind a few months perhaps.

After jpegs for interweb, I start dealing with those pics that were only shot in RAW... And if/when I'm arsed I'll deal with the RAW that also exist (and have already been edited) in jpeg format...

So pretty much my backlog runs from a few weeks to 2008 .
 Tall Clare 07 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Two rolls of film to develop, and a couple of contact sheets to have a proper look at. I've fallen into a photographic pit of torpor.
 Lukem6 07 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: 16000+ although about a third a dublicates that i also need to work through and delete
 Si Withington 07 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Several years! [must try harder]!
 Blue Straggler 07 Oct 2013
In reply to George Fisher:

I am so tight fisted, I am waiting until I have at least 6 rolls before sending for development, as I get a whopping 10% off for 6 rolls or more. I have not had a roll developed this year, as I've not been shooting much! About to finish rolls 4 and 5, and I have yet to start roll 6.
On digital, I don't shoot much and I tend to sort it all very quickly because I know that old adage "if not now, then WHEN?", but then I have not put anything up on flickr since about April! Mostly just been doing snapshots to email to friends or put on FB for fun, rather than anything that anyone would want to spend more than one second looking at.
Looking forward to my b&w ASA25 shots of Arlington Cemetery taken in February, many on an 18mm lens
 George Fisher 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Wide shots of Arlington should be cool.

I've been shooting a few rolls of 6x6 with an old East German Certo Phot. It's got one shutter speed and 2 apertures f8&11. It turns out surprising nice negs. Also built a Franken-camera with a LF 90 mm lens stuck to an old Polaroid back. It's currently fixed at infinity but is really fun. I might build some focus into it soon so I can shoot people.

Digital is limited to an iphone for pics of the boy and work snaps of projects before and after.
 David Ponting 07 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

3 rolls of film (side query, how long does film last if you don't develop it immediately? Fuji Superia 400, FWIW) and 2 weeks or so of digital (day-to-day stuff and my adventures of last weekend) at the moment.

Worst backlog ever is either, depending on how you count it, the three months that I was without a computer that I could edit my pictures on a few years ago, or the fact that I spent a couple of years at one point taking pictures for my own interest, but never doing anything beyond editing them to look at on my own computer (no printing, no social media &c).

I find that if I do pictures quickly, then it's fun and easy, whereas leaving them for more than a few weeks turns it into an unbearable chore... Not sure why that is, though.
OP d_b 10 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Backlog cleared, almost at the cost of my marriage.

A week of 1am finishes, and photo tweaking with blurred and phosphor burned eyes. Hurrah!
 Bimble 10 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

I've still got 14 rolls of film from a trip to Australia in 2003 that I've not developed.
 yeti 10 Oct 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

I'm horrified, i'd drop em off on the way home, though now i'm digital tis easier

though... when i was out of action after the hernia op, i sorted all our old film photos into date order and into 6 boxes...
 The Lemming 10 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Its taken me several years but I have finally deleted all my unwanted images digital of 30,000+ and put the rest into folders. I have also got on top of tagging every single JPEG in my collection from over the last 10 years.

Trust me, tagging 13,000 images takes a lot of will power, especially as most of them have over 10 tags each. I have also used face recognition software to name everybody that is important to me. At one point I thought that I was scuppered when I used Picassa and it corrupted about 10,000 tagged images, but I'm over that scare.

My top tip would be to rather tag your images than keep them in folders alone. Rather than try to remember what folder my images are in, I now think of a few descriptive words and I can get hundreds of images that I haven't seen in years.

My next task, and one which I have been putting off for over 10 years, is to scan all my old photos and add them to my digital collection. But this is too much to think about.
 The Lemming 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Lukem6:
> (In reply to davidbeynon) 16000+ although about a third a dublicates that i also need to work through and delete

Awsome duplicate photo finder is your friend. It finds duplicates of anything from JPEGS to word docs to MP3's.

Be careful as it is very powerful and in the wrong hands can be deadly for deleting stuff that you really, really want to keep.

http://download.cnet.com/Awesome-Duplicate-Photo-Finder/3000-2193_4-7520681...
Douglas Griffin 10 Oct 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

These days when I go out to photograph I rarely come back with any more than 10 exposures. Generally try to take far fewer photos and think more about composition, etc.

As a result, no backlog at all!
OP d_b 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

That is what I aspire to do. So far I have been found extremely wanting!
 Bimble 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

I try to do that, and on occasion I succeed, but other times I fail completely. It all depends what kind of photos I'm taking though; landscapes & more mellow shoots give me time to discriminate, but the more riotious public order/fast-paced stuff lend themselves to taking a few too many. Thus filling two 32gb cards during the 'Siege of Millbank'...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...