UKC

anyone seen "moon" directed by Duncan Jones..? (poss spoiler)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
possibly the best use of chesney hawkes back catalogue in movie history...?

gregor
 ripper 09 Oct 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: great film, great performance from one of my favourite actors. Shame the director doesn't call himself Zowie any more!
I don't get the Chesney Hawkes reference though - something in the soundtrack I'm not remembering?
In reply to ripper:

every morning sam's alarm clock plays it to wake him up with "i'm not the same as all the rest, i am the one and only..."

except he's really, really not...

funny thing was, as i was watching it, i was only partially engaged, it was a bit slow, found myself looking for faults to pick on; but afterwards, i've found myself thinking about it a lot, and the more i think about it the more i rate it. excellent acting, very clever plotting, and even the bits that i raised an eyebrow to at the time seem perfectly crafted in retrospect.

i haven;t seen source code, zowie's next film- is it as good...?

cheers
gregor
 ayuplass 09 Oct 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
I too only half watched it the first time and was a bit bemused and slightly irritated by it. I watched it again much later and 'got it' this time. A very well crafted film
 1poundSOCKS 09 Oct 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: Seen it once, didn't like it. Maybe one to watch again sometime.
 ripper 09 Oct 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: just googled to check that source code is the film I thought it was. yes I've seen it and compared to Moon it's, well, ok but pretty formulaic, generic, nowhere near as originial. I didn't know - and would never have guessed - it was the work of the same director. my opinion anyway...
In reply to ripper:

ok, worth knowing, sounded an interesting premise based on the little i read about it, but there's a backlog of films ive already got and still to watch without adding to it unless its something really good...
 deepstar 09 Oct 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: I really enjoyed "Moon",I thought it was better the second time I saw it and I loved the music.
 Fat Bumbly2 09 Oct 2013
Excellent film. Must see it again soon.
 Blue Straggler 09 Oct 2013

I gave it a disappointed 6.5/10, I saw it after all the excitement, and I had bought into that excitement, but ultimately it was "OK". The "reveal" was a bit lacklustre and predictable. I expected more. BUT I suppose if you went to the cinema to see it, with no expectations, the experience would have been better. That the main thing that I remember and enjoy is that the smiley faces on the computer were surprisingly engaging, says a lot. I love Sam Rockwell and he was perfect casting, yet they didn't use the "Rockwell Factor" very well (see also: Iron Man 2)

I have not seen Source Code, and I scoffed at the poster, but I recently saw the trailer and noted Duncan Jones' name on it, and I am intrigued now! It looks OK
In reply to Blue Straggler:

i missed most of the hype, though i had heard some positive things about it. a little surprised you were so underwhelmed- i thought the reveal wasn't the main point, it was the aftermath of this and the effect it had on each of the Sams. in fact, that would be a contender for enty's greatest scene thread- the moment when sam 5 calls earth, and speaks to his daughter, then hears the original sam in the background- and realises the full horror of his situation, a man with no past, no home, and no life of his own. sam rockwell's acting of this is outstanding, and i thought it raised very interesting questions about what it is to be human- more so when the only compassion he experience is from GERTY, a machine

i'd give it 9/10 i think, up from 8 after i saw it, and after anticipating a 7 before i saw it. there's not so many films have me thinking about them like this 4 days later, and its always good to have expectations so exceeded...

cheers
gregor
 wilkie14c 10 Oct 2013
Greg, if you you like the whole clone thing, get into orphan black. either iplayer or whole season of the torrent sites.
Moon? yea, a strange movie, thought provoking. Obviously shared in others too hence your post. Well worth a watch. Source code? again, thought provoking but perhaps not as believable
 Mooncat 10 Oct 2013

Wasn't bad but very similar in many ways to Solaris.
 Blue Straggler 10 Oct 2013

I studiously avoided the word "hype". The film was never hyped. I am glad that so many people enjoyed it, but I have to be honest, it left me cold. The aftermath that you refer to seemed to me to be some damp squib "let's wrap it up" thing rather than any deep insight. We knew the score well before then. I am aware that I have an inaccurate reputation here as a curmudgeonly movie snob but really I am not applying that here - I saw "Moon" on DVD after about 14 months of hearing about how great it was, and I was really looking forward to it, but it just didn't do it for me. For comparison, I heard about Silent Running about 25 years ago (and in the interim period I saw many references to it) and only saw it last year for the first time, and I loved it. Just to illustrate that I am not some "anti-hype, anti-cult-classic" snob! Silent Running would in fact make a good double bill with Moon.
 ripper 10 Oct 2013
> (In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs)
>
Silent Running would in fact make a good double bill with Moon.

Even better would be a triple bill with those two and Dark Star!
 goose299 10 Oct 2013

> i haven;t seen source code, zowie's next film- is it as good...?

Didn't really rate moon, slow and I found my mind wandering
Hadn't realised source code was by the same director. I thought this was really good.

r0b 10 Oct 2013

Source Code is obviously a lot more "multiplex" than Moon but I enjoyed it and it's definitely worth a watch

Hi blue,

Again, I'd disagree that the aftermath was a 'lets wrap it up' thing. When the 'reveal' happens I think it's still in the first half of the film, and what follows- the psychological reactions of the two sams, but especially Sam-5, is the core of the film. The reveal is not the main point, it's just the vehicle to generate the conditions for the study of the characters reactions to it.

And even knowing where it's going isn't necessarily a problem - again it's not that sort of film where it's relying on unexpected twists. It's watching the characters deal with the situation psychologically, and thinking through implications of that, that made the film interesting in my opinion

Or that's what I thought anyway, but I appreciate that these are just opinions....!

And I will definitely check out silent running

Thanks to posters for the comments on source code, will have a look , it's only 3 quid on amazon so can't really go wrong at that price....

Cheers
Gregor
Removed User 10 Oct 2013
In reply to ripper:
>
> Even better would be a triple bill with those two and Dark Star!

Now yer talking!!
 Blue Straggler 10 Oct 2013

You have made me consider watching Moon again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...