UKC

Gollums cave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AMorris 11 Oct 2013
Hey guys

I had my first trip to gollums cave in the clifton gorge today. Ticked a few problems and generally had a good session on the rock. Also tried out Thumb Wars, which was my first taste of a solid f8a, just to give me an idea of how far I am from the grade... turns out I still have alot of work to do but it was interesting nontheless.
Anyway, the nature of Gollums cave is that it is a mess of numerous eliminates (with a few resin holds unusually cemented on... like it needs more holds), so I wanted to know what you guys think of this highly eliminate style of bouldering. Personally I found it highly contrived and basically like a big polished limestone woody (so so polished), great for training but very unnatural.
 Nick Russell 11 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris:

I thought somebody tried to burn it down recently. I support this action! More seriously, I didn't rate it at all the one time I went. I'd rather go indoors for eliminate climbing on manufactured holds... It's not as dirty.
OP AMorris 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Nick Russell: I wasn't aware of that! Might explain the faint black residue on some of the holds, its largely clean now though. Id probably agree with you on that one, but then again im a tight bastard and its free at gollums
In reply to AMorris:

Yes it's horrible. I live about ten minutes cycle away and have been there once.
 Choss 12 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris:

Please, someone burn it down once and for all!, or use acid or holy water, or dynamite. Even the hardcore Bristol Jakeys give Gollums a swerve, and i should Know, i am one.

Choss 12 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris:

On a constructive note, try sea walls and new quarry for high end bouldering. Connoisseurs Choice area the Prince etc for high Grade bouldering. Sure theres the Traffic but the ambience is much Better. At Least it doesnt stink of human waste and corpses.

Theres also some Nice bouldering Under donkey slide south of River

Ps excuse bad capitalisati. New Phone havent quite got it yet.
OP AMorris 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Choss: Ah okay cheers for the tip I'll check em out. I was a little disappointed with Gollums I have to say but I'll go back there to try and finish off some projects, but it will be nice to get on less eliminate stuff as well.
 Choss 12 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris:

Give em a go. Theyre more crimpy than overhanging.
 Choss 12 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris:

If you want someone to show you the areas, hit me up, no worries.
 Cheese Monkey 12 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris: I went this week and was slightly underwhelmed. Still, we were climbing in the rain which is good
 Choss 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey:
> (In reply to AMorris) I went this week and was slightly underwhelmed. Still, we were climbing in the rain which is good

Underwhelmed? You were lucky you didnt come away with Typhoid 7;^)

Cheese Monkey 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Choss: The in-situ boulder mat did concern me slightly
 Choss 12 Oct 2013

Do you Mean blood stained Mattress? Did you dare Look Under it?
 Alex Winter 12 Oct 2013

It's heavily soiled. I think the previous occupant might have had a Tennent's Super too many one evening.
OP AMorris 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey: ah yes, the deeply disturbing mattress of Gollums cave... I was considering running toxicological and microbe screening on it for the safety of the South West.
OP AMorris 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Choss: I may well take you up on that one! Cheers fella

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...