UKC

And so the wild snow predictions begin!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-bre...

Is it to be believed? Or is this the same trollop they put out every year
 xplorer 12 Oct 2013
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

You have just answered your own question haven't you?
 DaveHK 12 Oct 2013

I live in hope of just such a winter.
 toad 12 Oct 2013
 BnB 12 Oct 2013
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to purplemonkeyelephant) It's this guy. And he's an arse.
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2012/jun/15/daily-expr...

Who's an arse? George M? Or Jonathan P. I was at university with George where we shared many a fine adventure together.
 toad 12 Oct 2013
In reply to BnB: Jonathan. I don't always agree with Monbiot, but the other guy is a charlatan. All the Express story is intended to do is make old, frail people scared. Boils my piss good 'n' proper
 BnB 12 Oct 2013
In reply to toad: I quite often find myself in disagreement with George's latest views myself. Although his opinions are always elegantly and convincingly voiced. He's very good company anyway. As for the Express and Mail, why is it that the older generation so want to be terrified? Is it their version of an adrenaline hit?
In reply to toad:

Wow! That article is amazing. It completely discredits the Express, and tarnishes the name of the press, yet they still hire him.

I knew the tabloids regularly just invent the news, but that takes the biscuit.
 Craigyboy13 12 Oct 2013
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: how do they know we are going to have a super cold november?
 LakesWinter 13 Oct 2013
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: Well, when people were ranting about the coldest winter ever etc last year they weren't far off with March (I always think of March as a proper winter month in the UK)
 Michael Gordon 13 Oct 2013

Load of crap as usual! I don't know why there's an obsession with predicting snowy winters as opposed to mild ones. I guess it's more exciting, battle down the hatches etc. There will always be the romanticism of cold snowy winters also.
 Theo Moore 13 Oct 2013
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: this just in from the Express: "immigrants cause snow and Thatcher's ghost told them to do it"
 Misha 13 Oct 2013
Rotating headline number 5 for a slow news day.
 ablackett 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Misha: "below-average temperatures possibly lingering until February" That would be winter then.
 hang_about 14 Oct 2013
I saw an interview with an Express journalist who was questioned about the weather headlines. As he said - it sells newspapers and you don't know it's not going to happen.
I notice they quote Vantage Weather Services. From their website:
Vantage Weather Services

Autumn 2013: Largely typical autumn, but risk of extremes.

November 2013

November looks to see more evenly balanced weather across the country, with a lessening degree of rainfall nationwide. Apart perhaps from the far north west, most areas should see a mix of dry, bright, and sunny weather, with a decreased amount of wet and windy conditions. Temperatures late month may well induce some early snow across the hills of Scotland and to the north of England. Towards the middle and latter part of the month under clear skies, frost activity can be expected, leading to chilly, bright, and crisp autumnal days. On balance, rainfall is expected to come in below the average for the majority of areas, with temperatures reflecting the norm.

Sounds apocalyptic to me!
 dgp 03 Nov 2013
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: first dusting of snow on the tops in Snowdonia today !
In reply to dgp:
> (In reply to purplemonkeyelephant) first dusting of snow on the tops in Snowdonia today !

probably hail rather than snow. woke me up this morning hammering on the window
Tim Chappell 03 Nov 2013

Plenty of snow on the Mounth when you look north from Auchterhouse Hill today. Sith Chaillean looked particularly magical.
 The Potato 03 Nov 2013
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: if yo uwant to see for yourself you could always check a mountain webcam

http://www.mwis.org.uk/webcams.php

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...