UKC

Hikers topple 200 million year-old rock formation in USA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dr_botnik 18 Oct 2013
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/american-hikers-topple-200...

Seems almost psrt of the human condition to degrade the oddities of our environment... shame that future generations won't get the awe and wonder of seeing such bizarre antiques in nature. Do you think their defence of "its a safety hazard" stands? I think that was almost an after thought in this case. I hope the judge see's this too and acts accordingly. I just don't see how we'll stop trundling idiots in 15 years time, or 50... depressing really. But not as depressing as Australia wanting to mine coal from the Great Barrier reef, but that's another issue entirely...
 thermal_t 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik: Absolute cretins, it's impossible to watch that video without hoping the boulder will land on his foot.
myth 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik: some things in life can never ever be taken back or fixed. This is one example.
 3leggeddog 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik:

Whilst I have some sympathy with all the shock horror merchants, in reality, how many more storms would the rock have lasted. It didn't seem difficult to push over.

Yes they were a bunch of cocks but this is a bit like the geological equivalent of picking an apple before it falls to the ground.
 Alan Breck 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik: Morons. Sometimes, just sometimes, I don't think that man deserves this planet.
 Giles Davis 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Alan Breck:

Agreed, what he deserved was the same unfortunate fate as the idiot on YouTube who kicks through that concrete panelled wall and get his leg broken.
 Offwidth 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik:

Good grief!! The rock is 200 million years old, not the formation. Lets not add geological inaccuracy to blatant vandalism
 Shani 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Giles Davis:
> (In reply to Alan Breck)
>
> Agreed, what he deserved was the same unfortunate fate as the idiot on YouTube who kicks through that concrete panelled wall and get his leg broken.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ht43QmHc8Q&feature=youtube_gdata_playe...

paul walters 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik: Just about sums up my experience and opinions of americans. Sad.
 Yanis Nayu 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Giles Davis:
> (In reply to Alan Breck)
>
> Agreed, what he deserved was the same unfortunate fate as the idiot on YouTube who kicks through that concrete panelled wall and get his leg broken.

My thought exactly. F*cking morons.
 FreshSlate 19 Oct 2013
Back off, they saved a kids life that day.
In reply to Shani:
> (In reply to Giles Davis)
> [...]
>
> This one?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ht43QmHc8Q&feature=youtube_gdata_playe...

A future Darwin award candidate...
 itsThere 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik: Sorry for the crap american link, its from reddit. http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_7578.shtml

Turns out he "had filed a personal injury lawsuit against a woman and her father for injuries he says he suffered in a 2009 car crash."
 malk 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik: climbers topple 100 million year-old rock formation: youtube.com/watch?v=K0Tj2dWiXPk&
Clauso 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik:

Hikers? They're so fat, that I suspect that they only waddled a few yards from their SUV... What a bunch of arseholes.
 malk 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Clauso: that's almost as funny as dom joly chasing trolls..
 DaveHK 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik:

To them though it's probably only 6000 years old so no big deal.
 JIMBO 19 Oct 2013
Anyone fancy rock tipping at Brimham tomorrow?

Only joking
 ewar woowar 19 Oct 2013
In reply to thermal_t:
> (In reply to dr_botnik) Absolute cretins, it's impossible to watch that video without hoping the boulder will land on his foot.

^^^^
Wot he said!
 Choss 19 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik:

On the one Hand, people have always Revelled in tipping Logan stones etc, nothing New. That rocks balancing days were numbered anyway. Thats Erosion for you. That was much less Trundling than ive witnessed Climbers do to create routes. Not to mention stripping moss, Lichen destruction etc.

Lot of fuss about nothing.

On the Other Hand, the ObnoxiousTw*ts doing it make me puke into my pint
 3leggeddog 20 Oct 2013
In reply to JIMBO:
bridestones would be better, there's one there that sways in the wind
 jimtitt 20 Oct 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to dr_botnik)
>
> To them though it's probably only 6000 years old so no big deal.

Nice.
 Enty 20 Oct 2013
In reply to jimtitt:

Or even 2000 years old like the juniper tree cut down by a famous climber last week.

E
 Red Rover 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to jimtitt)
>
> Or even 2000 years old like the juniper tree cut down by a famous climber last week.
>
> E
Whats the story behind that?
 Enty 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Red Rover:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2249896/Joe-Kinder-Ethan-Pringle-tr...

Pretty shocking really. Surprised it's not been mentioned on here yet.

E
 aln 20 Oct 2013
In reply to 3leggeddog:
>
> Whilst I have some sympathy with all the shock horror merchants, in reality, how many more storms would the rock have lasted. cock

I don't know. How many more storms would it have taken then?
OP dr_botnik 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: Disappointing if true... ofcourse it could've been the case the tree would've fallen and hit a kid. So really, they're saving lives
Removed User 21 Oct 2013
In reply to paul walters:
> (In reply to dr_botnik) Just about sums up my experience and opinions of americans. Sad.

Oh Jeeze. Really?
 teflonpete 21 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik:

The "we prevented the rock falling and crushing a kid" (I paraphrase) argument is a load of bollox. It took 30 stone of moronic blubber, pushing with all his might to push the stone off. Shame it didn't land on his head.
 MeMeMe 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Clauso:
>
> Hikers? They're so fat, that I suspect that they only waddled a few yards from their SUV... What a bunch of arseholes.

That's what I thought but it turns out they were 'adventuring'.

"The three men, who were adventuring in the Goblin Valley State Park last weekend when they encountered the formations,...".
 malk 21 Oct 2013
In reply to MeMeMe: and 'leading' a group of scouts..
 Bimble 21 Oct 2013
In reply to teflonpete:
>
> The "we prevented the rock falling and crushing a kid" (I paraphrase) argument is a load of bollox. It took 30 stone of moronic blubber, pushing with all his might to push the stone off. Shame it didn't land on his head.

I'm all in favour of crushing the fat man's car, therefore preventing it from possibly running over a kid.
 MeMeMe 21 Oct 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

>
> I'm all in favour of crushing the fat man's car, therefore preventing it from possibly running over a kid.

I think he should be trundled for safety reasons.
 teflonpete 21 Oct 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
> [...]
>
> I'm all in favour of crushing the fat man's car, therefore preventing it from possibly running over a kid.

I like that! :0) Would have been absolute poetry if the stone had rolled down a hill and crushed his car.
 deepsoup 21 Oct 2013
In reply to teflonpete:
> The "we prevented the rock falling and crushing a kid" (I paraphrase) argument is a load of bollox.

That it is. But it's been put forward on here from time to time to support some fairly gratuitous trundling.
 ByEek 21 Oct 2013
In reply to dr_botnik: I'm not really sure what to think about the comments on here. One the one hand, it is clearly vandalism, but on the other hand, nature would have probably got around to doing the same sooner or later and we wouldn't have batted an eye lid.
OP dr_botnik 21 Oct 2013
In reply to deepsoup: Get that thing tumbled now OR KIDS WILL DIE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...